• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Beach show report

15 posts in this topic

Totally Dead. I had $10,000 to spend and bought nothing. Rude and apathetic dealers. Even worse than the last Long Beach show.

A lot of overpriced junk.

Don't kill the messenger, I made very reasonable offers on several items.

Sorry to hear that - I did my buying on line this evening.

If I had the time earlier this afternoon, I would have done

more damage than I did tonight ... :o

I heard from a good friend that there were no rare dated

Barber Halves in MS 64-66.

Did you spot any 1914-P Halves in your grade of choice ?

I would agree... except for the $10,000 to spend but I really still couldnt find anything that nice or that reasonably priced...

Thought about renewing my NGC Collector's Society membership but then I was told they are hammering toned coins right now too so I didnt submit anything. I have over 2 dozen toners waiting to go but I am just too afraid of getting them back in net grade holders... no thank you.

No 1914 Barber half in MS-anything - so my quest for this one continues.

There was a cleaned common date Fine seated liberty dollar with a sticker of $350. My offer of $300 was greeted with a scowl. Just as well I picked up one last nite in a slightly lower grade on Ebay for $172.

Offered $400 for BU rolls of common date Peace dollars, also greeted with a scowl and a "$500/roll is the best I an do". No thanks.

Tried to pick up NGC/PCGS MS-62 $5 gold liberties for $450-$480 (depending on eye appeal). No takers.

For the first time I remember, they weren't even handing out complimentary copies of coin magazines.

Other than an awful hot dog and coffee that must have been left over from the last show, my only purchase was a jar of Ezest for $4.00

ak

No 1914 Barber half in MS-anything - so my quest for this one continues.

There was a cleaned common date Fine seated liberty dollar with a sticker of $350. My offer of $300 was greeted with a scowl. Just as well I picked up one last nite in a slightly lower grade on Ebay for $172.

Offered $400 for BU rolls of common date Peace dollars, also greeted with a scowl and a "$500/roll is the best I an do". No thanks.

Tried to pick up NGC/PCGS MS-62 $5 gold liberties for $450-$480 (depending on eye appeal). No takers.

For the first time I remember, they weren't even handing out complimentary copies of coin magazines.

Other than an awful hot dog and coffee that must have been left over from the last show, my only purchase was a jar of Ezest for $4.00

I can't speak to the other coins, but at least two dealers are bidding $450 for MS62 $5 Liberty's, so it doesn't surprise me that you couldn't buy any at that price.

I had a great show ... I got to spend some quality time with John Kraljevich who had a beautiful upgrade for my Fugio 19-Z Raised Rim (shown below). Also, I was able to purchase my absolute dream coin from Tony Terranova ... no pic yet but I'll post it when I get a chance. And, I got to shoot the **** with John and Dave from CRO. What more could any coin junkie ask for???

14829397O.jpg

14829397R.jpg

A friend of my who just came back said in his opinion, Graded toned coins are coming back from both companys as Genuine. Not to many if any are getting graded.

Thats what I heard as well and thats why I am not submitting at this time...

The show seemed dead to collector traffic. Wednesday and Thursday were reportedly good for wholesale. Friday dead and today dead. Practically no one waiting to get in in the morning.

Looked like a lot less dealers this time. The aisles seemed to be significantly further apart. One of the two coin supply companies was no longer at the show. Several dealers that I usually notice were not there. One dealer that is usually packed with collectors made the comment to me "look, no one waiting at my table on a Saturday".

Having this show so soon after Fun probably didn't encourage a lot of the dealers to come. The weather also wasn't that nice. And I heard complaints from multiple dealers that the show management is clueless in promoting this show.

I like that Fugio cent. I bet it if I bit into it that it is softer than the buns on the crappy hot dogs they were selling!

Probably tastes better than the coffee!