• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ICG holder -- looks unusual

15 posts in this topic

Bought this coin off "the bay" for a good price. I generally don't have a problem with ICG graded coins, but this holder is different from my other ICG graded coins. Is it a first generation holder, or ???

Thanks in advance.

93044.jpg.dd7cc97f0002d4be7b1897a8b74ff4e6.jpg

93045.jpg.438e55dedbe529c8ea3237f70939191a.jpg

ICG = I can't grade. Every coin in an ICG slab that I have had crossed came back body bagged.

Want a good laugh? Read this thread by gmarguli.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1478435&fpart=1

Chris

That post by Greg is one of my all-time favorites. :roflmao:

I must admit I'm intrigued. I checked back through my records and I do have pictures of another slab of this same variety from May of last year. At that time it was identified as being a fake. That coin was an 1897-O dollar slabbed as an AU-50 which was obviously cleaned and didn't appear to make the detail grade either. But I have not seen one in person yet so I can't say if it is real or not. If it is real we should be able to find more of them fairly easily because if it is real it is NOT an older slab but a recent one.

I'll defer to conder as he's the clear expert on slabs, but it seems odd that the number and barcode are on the back. Here is a photo of a coin in an ICG slab that I got in 2000 or 2001, which I think was in the early days of ICG, and it's similar but not the same.

93092.jpg.5e85b22d9b7ee276f0c63bbd32c2255b.jpg

93093.jpg.ad60e224a072ea47ac29ceef6cb34e4c.jpg

I checked out ICG coins for sale on Ebay and found several in similar holders to what I have, so apparently it is not uncommon.

I wouldn't worry about it. All the major grading services have changed their slab labels several times.

Bought this coin off "the bay" for a good price. I generally don't have a problem with ICG graded coins, but this holder is different from my other ICG graded coins. Is it a first generation holder, or ???

Thanks in advance.

I'd cross that puppy as fast as I could to beat the 45 day ebay dispute policy! You just don't know with ebay now, and the fact that you got it at a "good price" only adds suspicion. I'd be willing to drop a point just for validation.

Coinman,

The first edition of the slabbook came out back in 2003. It has been through two printings. Small printings as is often normal with a specialized work like this one, about 350 copies. It has been out of print for several years now. I have been working on a updated second edition, but not as diligently as I should be. Frankly I have been somewhat overwhelmed and somewhat depressed by the shear number of new companies and varieties that have appeared since 2003.

I have been getting a lot of requests for me to do a third printing of the first edition but I don't really want to do that because I would rather put out the second edition. But the second edition is going to take too long so I'm working on a "First and a half edition" that contains the first edition material and updates the changes made by the major services since those are the ones most people are interested in. (It will probably have some information on several other new companies as well but not all of them.)

The ICG slab that jtryka posted IS a first generation ICG slab. It has the barcode and serial number on the front and a full height hologram on a green field on the back. The second generation has a half height hologram with a white bar at the bottom of the back label with the barcode on it. (There is also a transition variety that has the half height hologram of the second generation one a plain green field like the first generation.)

ICG is actually a bit hard to classify because they have not had many true generations but have had several novelty or specialty issues and it has sometimes been hard to tell what is a true production slab and what is just another novelty.

One of the reasons the slab style like the one in the original post has been questioned is because all other ICG slabs, production, novelty, advertising, and samples all have a similar type hologram. They all have five columns on the hologram alternating the word "valid" and the ICG logo. The slab in the OP and the picture of the one I have from last year only have four colums. The "vein" pattern on the front label on both the OP slab and my picture are identical as well. That may or may not be unusual, I have not studied the vein patterns to see if they repeat, if they are different on each slab, or if there are regular patterns that shift around, back and forth, up and down etc.