• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Silver Eagles!

4 posts in this topic

Here is one of my latest, I bought a roll of them and they were just delivered today! You can really see the difference in the strike and relief compared with the later issues (like anything after 1991 I believe). These older higher relief coins are extremely beautiful in my opinion, though certainly not rare. After this roll, I need only rolls from 1986 and 1988 to complete my set! Here are some pics of one of the coins from today:

1990obv.jpg

1990rev.jpg

Absolutely beautiful coin, Jeff! Although I am only doing the mint boxed proof editions, I have given serious thought to doing a MS series (raw) for a book, and I think your pic just made up my mind!

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

David

Well, this set is an interesting story. At first I just bought a single unc roll for the silver back in 1991 (I think I must have seen an ad in the paper for them). Silver was cheap back then (like sub-$4) so I figured what the heck. I really wasn't back into serious collecting, but this was a start. I then bought the proof on from that year, and started buying a roll of eagles each year along with a proof. By 1999 I decided to finish the proofs off from 1986-1990 and finished them by 2001 I think. And now I am working on getting the back dated rolls. So far this year I have found 1987, 1989 and 1990, leaving only the 1986 and 1988 (the 86s are about $250 per roll and the 88s are about $180, similar to the 90 I just bought). Some are cheap, I bought a roll of 87s for $150, while the 96 seems to be the Key date, about $500 for a roll (lucky I got that one for $135 in 1996!). It's a nice short series with at least a beautiful design!

Quite awhile ago, I thought I was bidding on a pr ASE, and was in a hurry to do something, so forgot about it. Didn't really look at the eBay page for it and didn't really expect to win it.

Lo and behold, I picked it up, but to my surprise, it was a MS 1991 in mint case! I figured, oh well, and kept it. Now I have a reason to complete it.

David

P.S. One of my sources for these in MS are priced @ $315 for a roll of 86's and $195 for the 88's. Your in the ballpark!