• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 Presidential Dollar Coin Images Released

22 posts in this topic

By Michael Zielinski on January 29th, 2010

Categories: Featured Articles, US Coins, United States Mint

The United States Mint has released coin images for the upcoming 2010 Presidential Dollars featuring Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, and Abraham Lincoln.

The US Mint has previously released the line art images of each of the coins.

These coins will represent the thirteenth though sixteenth releases of the ongoing circulating dollar coin series created to honor the former Presidents of the United States.

The images below display the obverse of each coin, which features a portrait of the President with inscriptions indicating the name, order of presidency, years of the term, and motto "In God We Trust." The reverse design for each coin will feature a rendition of the Statue of Liberty by Don Everhart with inscriptions "United States of America" and the denomination "$1". The date, mint mark, and motto "E Pluribus Unum" appear as incuse lettering on the edge of each coin.

The first of this year's Presidential Dollars honoring Millard Fillmore will be released into circulation on February 18, 2010. The week before on February 11, 2010, the United States Mint will release the 2010 Presidential Dollar Proof Set, which will contain proof versions of each of the four coins. This collectible set will be priced at $15.95.

2010-Fillmore-Dollar.jpg

2010 Millard Fillmore Dollar

Designer and Engraver: Don Everhart

Release Date: February 18, 2010

2010-Pierce-Dollar.jpg

2010 Franklin Pierce Dollar

Designer: Susan Gamble

Engraver: Charles Vickers

Release Date: May 20, 2010

2010-Buchanan-Dollar.jpg

2010 James Buchanan Dollar

Designer and Engraver: Phebe Hemphill

Release Date: August 19, 2010

2010-Lincoln-Dollar.jpg

2010 Abraham Lincoln Dollar

Designer and Engraver: Don Everhart

Release Date: November 18, 2010

Source Link

I don't care for the way the (same) designer has placed his initials so prominently on the lapels of Fillmore and Lincoln. Egomania at its best!

Chris

I don't care for the way the (same) designer has placed his initials so prominently on the lapels of Fillmore and Lincoln. Egomania at its best!

Chris

Could've been worse. He could've put them in the middle of all thier bowties. lol

Chris

Could've been worse. He could've put them in the middle of all thier bowties. lol

Bobby, is that a typo? Isn't that "w" supposed to be an "o"?

Chris

Chris

Bobby, is that a typo? Isn't that "w" supposed to be an "o"?

Chris

I actually typed that out and was gonna put a question mark until I realized what it spelled. Thanks for the laugh my friend! lol

I like these designs better than some of the early ones. We've had Lincoln on so many coins about the only option left is to show him from the back of the head ;)

Chris

It was that sort of attitude that created the 1909-S VDB rarity! :baiting:

Scott

That Lincoln beard and his eyes... kinda scary actually.

You will find that when when you see the coin, these features smooth out a bit. There is a possibility that the design might look better on the coin than the Mint's display art.

Scott

Millard Fillmore looks like Eddie Albert to me. Where are they getting these pictures?

Hey, do you think the First Spouse coin will have a likeness of Zsa Zsa Gabor on it?

Chris

Looks like Lincoln has two left eyes and possibly a broken jaw that has left his chin shifted to his right. I agree though it is probably just the Mints artwork and the coin will actually look better.

Millard Fillmore and Franklin Pierce are viewed by many as the best looking among all of the Presidents. Pierce has been called the most handsome all the men who have held the office. The Fillmore portrait looks fairly accurate to me. It's based on a photograph by Mathew Brady.

They really cleaned up the image of the Buchanan. He had a condition where he was near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. This led him to lean to one side or the other to get things into focus.

As for Lincoln that image is based upon an often published picture of him. A coin designer always takes a chance when he depicts a person from the head-on and not the profile view.

In this case the designer has given Lincoln a very eerie, piercing stare. It’s almost like a depiction of Lincoln from a “dime novel” I read many years ago which was a rip-off of “The Night of the Living Dead.” Lincoln and lot of other historical figures come back from the dead and wreaked havoc on the living. At the least the author had the decency to kill off the Lincoln zombie before he did anything to damage the 16th president's reputation.

Is it just me or does the Franklin Pierce portrait look lilke Prince Charles???

I think it might be just you. ;)

But if you can believe the tabloids, Franklin Pierce might have been married to a 19th century version of Camilla. Mrs. Pierce was dead set against her husband’s political career and made his miserable as a result. She didn’t go into the violent rages that the tabloids claim for Charles (“I am a battered husband!” (I always knew the guy was wimp.)), but she did go into a state of deep depression while he was President and did not emerge from the White House living quarters for months. The event that really set Mrs. Pierce over the edge was death of their last child in front on both parents’ eyes in a railroad accident.

I still think part of the problem with the Lincoln portrait is that it looks like the artist gave him two left eyes. Typically the eye is rounded toward the nose and comes to a point out by the side of the head. On the artists drawing both eyes are rounded on the left side and pointed on the right. His left eye is also higher than the right eye.

I still think part of the problem with the Lincoln portrait is that it looks like the artist gave him two left eyes. Typically the eye is rounded toward the nose and comes to a point out by the side of the head. On the artists drawing both eyes are rounded on the left side and pointed on the right. His left eye is also higher than the right eye.

Conder, they didn't have plastic surgery for drooping eyelids in those days.

Chris

....seems like lincoln's facial features were a result of illness. found this:

Lincoln's malformed face with one ear higher than the other, and his other physical features (e.g., long limbs and small, thin head) have actually been the focus of many theories regarding his medical condition. Some speculate that he had Marfan syndrome, a potentially life-threatening disorder of connective tissues in the body that can affect the heart and blood vessels, skeleton, and eyes. However, other historians believe that he had multiple endocrine neoplasia, type 2B (aka MEN2B), a rare genetic disorder that leads to cancer. In fact, John Sotos, MD, makes a case for this in his book, The Physical Lincoln. :popcorn: