• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder what I bought myself here with this Morgan...

20 posts in this topic

Like to gamble by winning auctions for little money with coins that might have potential. Wonder if this one is just garbage or not. can one at least say that what there is on the obverse is toning or just tarnish/dirt/gunk?

tone2f.jpg

tone2b.jpg

The luster on that reverse has me worried. It looks like the unnatural sheen that is characteristic of a highly polished coin.
I'm not seeing that, but the coin is quite unattractive.

the way i see it, paying 17.23 for a coin like this is well worth the fun. i have found that more often than one thinks its just the pictures that are terrible and the coin is nice. but with this one i would say my chances are are 2 in 100 that its anything...

It may be the pictures but if those are supposed to be starz on the obverse then this coin is a Unattractive Dug Up Counterfeit Reject :o)

the way i see it, paying 17.23 for a coin like this is well worth the fun. i have found that more often than one thinks its just the pictures that are terrible and the coin is nice. but with this one i would say my chances are are 2 in 100 that its anything...

To each their own however you are buying a lot of sub par coins that you may think are a bargain, but when it comes right down to it they are not . Instead of spending all your money on raw coins hoping you will get a few that will wind up with a decent grade from a TPG you should consider getting good coins already certified . For every one coin that might get the grade you have 99 that wont. Considering that most of the stuff you purchase is under $ 50 the grading costs alone on your coins will put you in the hole. If this is how you want to collect that is your business . Just don't expect many of us to take you seriously when you ask us if you should send a coin to NCS because it lacks Luster or if a coin like this 1900 Morgan is toned or just nastee looking.

It may be the pictures but if those are supposed to be starz on the obverse then this coin is a Unattractive Dug Up Counterfeit Reject :o)

Yep, it looks like a pretty poor fake that no amount of toning will hide. No one is going to sell real Morgan's at melt on ebay and eat the fees. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is. You have to remember that thousands of qualified buyers have looked at that coin and passed, even at melt! Maybe there is a reason?

To each their own however you are buying a lot of sub par coins that you may think are a bargain, but when it comes right down to it they are not . Instead of spending all your money on raw coins hoping you will get a few that will wind up with a decent grade from a TPG you should consider getting good coins already certified . For every one coin that might get the grade you have 99 that wont. Considering that most of the stuff you purchase is under $ 50 the grading costs alone on your coins will put you in the hole. If this is how you want to collect that is your business . Just don't expect many of us to take you seriously when you ask us if you should send a coin to NCS because it lacks Luster or if a coin like this 1900 Morgan is toned or just nastee looking.

Not to venture off topic, but I buy tons and tons of raw. Should I want to slab, I am 100% sure 99 of 100 will not bag or get below the grade I want.

Not to venture off topic, but I buy tons and tons of raw. Should I want to slab, I am 100% sure 99 of 100 will not bag or get below the grade I want.

The difference between you and him is you know what you are doing .

I will assume that you are not buying much sight unseen from EBAY unless they are from trusted sellers. As for your comment about 99 out of 100 - with the fickle way grading is , there are no guarantees.

The images suffer from high pixel issues likely from using a jpg image that was compressed and then blown up later. It looks real, looks like real toning, appears AU and the reverse may actually have nice luster. Given all that, I do not think it worth sending in for grading.

I very seldom buy a raw Morgan. Too many chances of getting a "cleaned: coin etc. I did get a few such as an 1878 7/8 that graded well. Recently I oicked up an NGC certified 1921 D MS 65 for $200.00 Numismedia list it as $393. 00 and red book at $350.00, I saw the coin with about 4 hours to go before the auction ended with a starting bid of $200.00 Nobody else bid on it. Your coin is quite unattractive. If you only send it one Morgan then you are going to have to go "Early Bird " and pay $30.00 plus postage each way. Why would you buy the junk?Even if you can get five and go "Economy" it is going to be $16.00 per coin for grading.

hey chabsentia.... you have the wrong idea about what i am up to. i do not only buy coins like that one. my point it that sometimes some really nice coins are hidden below grime/dirt etc. or just a bad picture. i buy graded coins too, but why bother posting them here when i already know what they are?i used to go treasure hunting with a metal detector while i was stationed in europe. you just never knew what you would find.... some of the stuff i pulled out of the ground includes roman coins, mediaeval coins, musket rounds, etc etc.

here is the lowdown, this coin did turn out to be total garbage. somebody had purposely smeared dirt on the obverse to hide the fact that the coin was badly scratched. but at 17 incl. ship its just over melt so no bid deal. its a real morgan at least.

here is the lowdown, this coin did turn out to be total garbage. somebody had purposely smeared dirt on the obverse to hide the fact that the coin was badly scratched. but at 17 incl. ship its just over melt so no bid deal. its a real morgan at least.

You actually spent money to get that coin graded ??

no,i cleaned it with MS70. once in hand it was obvious it was c/r/a/p

What happened with those other two Morgans ?

One was rather nice but I was concerned because of the last of marks on the face.

I thought it might be puttied.