• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1963 Franklin Proof - DDR?

20 posts in this topic

I bought this coin today at the FMCC Show in Ft. Myers. Despite its heavy toning, there appears to be doubling that isn't listed in Volume 2 of the 4th Edition of the CPG. I don't have Volume 2 of the 5th Edition. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Chris

92615.jpg.ab40c0445fa69b2bd235e7a8391108af.jpg

92616.jpg.18301f0807daa830e597f95ada868ed1.jpg

92617.jpg.e1b29cb9cdcb445e2d90c25f99941498.jpg

92618.jpg.186837ce7a39cd2e747f2cbec05a723c.jpg

Excellent pictures! That looks like very nice doubling. The CONECA master files list 14 DDRs for 1963, half a dozen of which are proofs which resemble yours. Take a look here: http://www.conecaonline.org/content/franklindoubleddies19571963.html#_1963

If you are interested in an attribution, you can send it to James Wiles. By the way, there is almost zero premium attached to the vast majority of Franklin varieties. You just have an interesting proof.

Thanks, Jason! Unfortuantely, they don't have a listing that corresponds to this. It lists the DDR wing feathers without the tailfeathers; it lists DDR tailfeathers without the wing feathers; it doesn't have both together adding to it the top of the left shoulder and top of the left wing; it lists E PLURIBUS UNUM with IN GOD WE TRUST and/or UNITED STATES OF AMERICA but not alone. (shrug)

Thanks!

Chris

PS. I'm really not interested in any premium. I bought this for the toning, and didn't discover the doubling until I got it home under the microscope. You should see the color on this puppy. I don't know if it is NT or AT, but I like it.

Even if I could, I'm so bad at my photography, that it wouldn't show the true effect of the coin. Unfortunately, my photo program was corrupted and had to be removed. I am still fighting with the company to get a replacement at the upgrade price. I sent a PM to Shane asking if he would like to shoot this for me, but I haven't heard from him yet.

Chris

Confirmed! I'm sending it to Shane on Monday. He said that he needs practice photographing toned proofs, so I'm not expecting much in the way of results. :roflmao: I also asked him to post the photos in a new thread. More to come!

Chris

Confirmed! I'm sending it to Shane on Monday. He said that he needs practice photographing toned proofs, so I'm not expecting much in the way of results. :roflmao: I also asked him to post the photos in a new thread. More to come!

Chris

Were you around when he was showing off his new axial lighting trickery? I think that might have been just before you rejoined us. Anyways, he has some voodoo witch doll black magic that works pretty darn well on toned proofs.

Chris

Since you're amiling it out anyway, why not spend the $5.00 and have James Wiles tell you exactly what you have?

Chris

Since you're amiling it out anyway, why not spend the $5.00 and have James Wiles tell you exactly what you have?

That will have to wait. If Shane thinks it's NT, I'm going to submit it to NGC first, more for protection (because it's raw) than anything else. If it gets in a slab, then I won't worry about it as much in transit.

Chris

I have quite a few '63 pf DDRs, I'll see if I can find a match this evening after work and let you know what die it is. If you're able to have someone image this coin I'd love to see how the toning looks.

That would be great. Will the close-ups I posted be sufficient? It didn't seem that anything on the CONECA site was comparable, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they listed every characteristic for each coin. Shane should receive it today since it was sent USPS Priority. Naturally, I don't expect him to drop everything just to take the photos, so we'll see.

Chris

I have quite a few '63 pf DDRs, I'll see if I can find a match this evening after work and let you know what die it is. If you're able to have someone image this coin I'd love to see how the toning looks.

That would be great. Will the close-ups I posted be sufficient? It didn't seem that anything on the CONECA site was comparable, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they listed every characteristic for each coin. Shane should receive it today since it was sent USPS Priority. Naturally, I don't expect him to drop everything just to take the photos, so we'll see.

Chris

I wasn't able to match it up to any of the DDRs I have with the photos you provided. Some of CONECA's descriptions are a little off so it is possible that it is already listed.

In hand under 20X magnification I am pretty sure it is machine doubling as I don't see anything but a shelf but Chris is convinced otherwise so a trip to coneca wouldn't be a bad idea......

Here is the beautiful coin in question.....I could get some close up images with my macro and post for more opinions...?

Chris041.jpg

Chris047.jpg

Shane, my primary concern is the doubling on E PLURIBUS UNUM and the eagle. Under the microscope, it is not shelf-like and you can see the notches on some of the letters.

Chris

Well you have the microscope so? I can also tell you that straight on no doubling is visable...you have to angle the coin to see the right side edges of the letters which again tells me that it may not be a true double die....but I think he should get an expert opinion from a non toning weenie...after all what do I know about die varieties :slapfight:

Well you have the microscope so? I can also tell you that straight on no doubling is visable...you have to angle the coin to see the right side edges of the letters which again tells me that it may not be a true double die....but I think he should get an expert opinion from a non toning weenie...after all what do I know about die varieties :slapfight:

Zilch, you pinprick head! :roflmao:

Chris

With the images provided I can't say for sure that EPU is doubled but the eagle appears to be a true doubled die. Of course I can't say with 100% certainty without actually seeing the coin but it would be worth sending to CONECA to find out IMO.

Let us know how it turns out.