• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors Scramble to Aquire Rare 2009 Lincoln Cents

15 posts in this topic

Disassociated Press

January 22, 2010

[WASHINGTON] Panicked collectors were seen running to banks in search of 2009 cents when the Mint announced production figures this month. Production totals for last year fell to the lowest levels since the 1950s.

The mintage numbers for the latest of four designs, which marks the Lincoln Presidency, fell dangerously below the totals for the first three.

Only 129.6 million of the Philadelphia Presidency coins were struck. Denver had a higher total at 198 million, but still below the figures collectors have come to expect.

In calendar year 2009 only 1.106 billion Philadelphia cents were produced. For Denver, the total was only slightly larger at 1.248 billion.

Steve Westerbaum, owner of AAA Coins and Collectibles, said the collector response has been dramatic. "I've fielded three calls this month regarding the new cents, and that is an all-time record."

Collectors Limited message board members have been discussing little else, and many report searching for banks that will sell them boxes of the new cents. User name "CentiMental" posted, "I got me 5 boxes each of the first 3 dezines from Filly and Denvre but I could only get me 1 box of the Filly prezidentsy cents and 3 of the Denvre. These are gonna be rair coins and I'll have some rolls on the BST bord next week after I surch for MS70s."

User name "Rusty" opined, "It's unfair for the Mint to strike so few coins. At best each of the approximately 20,000 active coin collectors in the US will only be able to assemble less than 65,000 sets of the new Lincoln Presidential coins. We need to band together and march on the Capitol!"

Breakdown of the other mintage totals are:

Birth P: 284.4 million

Formative Years P: 376 million

Professional Life P 316 million

Birth D: 350.4 million

Formative Years D: 363.6 million

Professional Life D: 336 million

:thumbsup:

I really have a hard time getting excited about 2009 mintages being so low, when the supposedly low mintages of this year are still greater than the total sum struck in other classic series - for all dates.

Years from now when the 2009 Lincoln cents are featured in a “Platinum Night Sale” along side an 1804 dollar and a 1913 Liberty Nickel, we will all be sorry we didn’t get in on the ground floor when these great rarities were even slightly available. :insane:

Years from now when the 2009 Lincoln cents are featured in a “Platinum Night Sale” along side an 1804 dollar and a 1913 Liberty Nickel, we will all be sorry we didn’t get in on the ground floor when these great rarities were even slightly available. :insane:

Yes, and I'll probably regret not having bought those 20 overdipped, lusterless Morgans on Coin Vault last night for only $599.95, but I'll get over it. :roflmao:

Chris

I think the Mint is going to announce that collectors who buy 10 boxes of President Dollars will be allowed to buy a roll of 2009 cents for only an additional $15 (limit 5 rolls per collector).

regardless of the humor in this you can bet someone.. somewhere will be suckered into thinking these coins are rare.

It was on the hangtaby thingy on my AmEx envelope to send my payment in last month. Littleton Coin Co. I think they were charging $5 for the 8 (1 from each mint).