• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1885 CC Morgan Vam 2A???

11 posts in this topic

It is given an R-6 on the rarity scale with R-7 being very scarce, but there is no price history in the latest VAMView or on the VAMWorld website.

I have the VAM-4 (Doubled Dash) in a PCGS MS65 "Hot 50" holder. It is given an R-4 and is worth about $2500.

Chris

Thank you for the information Chris. I'm never too sure about VAM's, I'm not sure how much demand there is to support a premium. In my case I would think an R-6/7 would deserve a premium but I always wonder if there is any "value-added". This coin is graded MS-64 and is in a GSA slab, I'm wondering if it commands a higher price or standard pricing would generally apply. I also could find no pricing history for this VAM...so what would that mean, no application of a premium, or at least no affect on sales prices?

It has been mentioned more than once on the VAMWorld message board that the assignment of the rarity factor sometimes seems arbitrary. I guess this rating can be just as subjective as grading a coin.

Your specimen should command some degree of premium given that it is a VAM-2A in the original OGP holder, but how much, only a buyer can tell you. (shrug)

Chris

NGC will not attribute the Vam unless it is a Top 50 or Top 50. You are correct in that it has been mentioned that the assigning of a Vam in some cases is arbitraryJust look at the value of an 1880CC GSA Morgan in MS64 and then look at the Value that NGC assigns to an 1880CC GSA MS64 Morgan with a high or low seven which is a VAM 5 or Vam 6.

NGC will not attribute the Vam unless it is a Top 50 or Top 50. You are correct in that it has been mentioned that the assigning of a Vam in some cases is arbitraryJust look at the value of an 1880CC GSA Morgan in MS64 and then look at the Value that NGC assigns to an 1880CC GSA MS64 Morgan with a high or low seven which is a VAM 5 or Vam 6.

NGC attributes TOP 100 & HOT 50.

I didn't say that the assignment of a VAM was arbitrary. I said that the assignment of the Rarity Scale (R-1 through R-7) was (sometimes) arbitrary, but NGC has nothing to do with that. The Rarity Scale for Morgan VAM's was created by Leroy Van Allen and A. George Mallis in their book, Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan & Peace Dollars.

I assume the values you are quoting come from the Numismedia Price Guide. Again, NGC has nothing to do with the establishment of those values. They have merely partnered with Numismedia to make the information available on the NGC site for their customers.

For the most accurate VAM prices, I prefer to use VAMView which is the official price guide of the SSDC. It reflects actual sale prices reported by all of the major auction houses and eBay. A hard copy is published annually and quarterly updates are also provided SSDC members via e-mail. As with all price guides, VAMView stresses that it is only a guide and shouldn't be construed to mean that those values are cast in stone.

As for the 1880-CC GSA MS64 (VAM-5 and VAM-6) you cited, the value quoted by VAMView is $750 for each one, but there is no distinction made between GSA and non-GSA coins. The price is the price is the price, regardless.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Hi, Ray!

VAMView lists it at $150 in MS62. The last recorded sale was July, 2008 unattributed, PCGS MS63, for $207. Are you planning on submitting it for the designation?

Chris

NGC attributes TOP 100 & HOT 50.

I didn't say that the assignment of a VAM was arbitrary. I said that the assignment of the Rarity Scale (R-1 through R-7) was (sometimes) arbitrary, but NGC has nothing to do with that. The Rarity Scale for Morgan VAM's was created by Leroy Van Allen and A. George Mallis in their book, Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan & Peace Dollars.

I assume the values you are quoting come from the Numismedia Price Guide. Again, NGC has nothing to do with the establishment of those values. They have merely partnered with Numismedia to make the information available on the NGC site for their customers.

For the most accurate VAM prices, I prefer to use VAMView which is the official price guide of the SSDC. It reflects actual sale prices reported by all of the major auction houses and eBay. A hard copy is published annually and quarterly updates are also provided SSDC members via e-mail. As with all price guides, VAMView stresses that it is only a guide and shouldn't be construed to mean that those values are cast in stone.

As for the 1880-CC GSA MS64 (VAM-5 and VAM-6) you cited, the value quoted by VAMView is $750 for each one, but there is no distinction made between GSA and non-GSA coins. The price is the price is the price, regardless.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I was referring to the GSA with both the Vam and without it. The price is the same for both even thougn Numismedia has stated to me that that one with the Vam should be worth more. I notice that there is now a caveat when you look up a situation such as this when verifying a certification where it is stated in this instance and a "no price"price instance that "Numismedia gives no value in this case and when it does give a value that the value is only that of the parent coin".

The problem would be if a person was buying a coin or selling a coin and used the Numismedia as a reference.Everyone might noit be aware of the Vamview.

NGC will not attribute the VAM unless it is top50 or top 100. If it is not one of these then you can get the vam attributed by ANACS,however, you will not be able to us it in the Registry etc.

My 1880 CC GSA is a MS63 PL which is listed at $950.00 by Numismedia. While there are several hundred listed for 1880 CC GSA MS64 at $750 there are only about 40 for the 1880 CC GSA MS63 .PL

Hi, Ray!

VAMView lists it at $150 in MS62. The last recorded sale was July, 2008 unattributed, PCGS MS63, for $207. Are you planning on submitting it for the designation?

Chris

I thought about it but I would hate to lose the no line fatty.

*Edit* I forgot to say thank you for the info Chris! I bought this off of a local B&M for $30, I guess I did ok!