• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can this coin not be at least PL if not a true STAR DMPL?

9 posts in this topic

saw this coin on ebay. ngc graded 1880-S STAR MS65. Look at the amazing obverse! Super thick frost. Ok, the reverse isnt quite that frosty, but still, how can this coin not be at least PL?

And what would the right (more or less) price be for a coin like this? Between plain MS65 and DMPL MS 65?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320474147500&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123#ht_2913wt_991

TC, it looks like the reverse falls short of even being PL. Whether the obverse is truly DPL remains to be seen. It probably got the star for its cameo contrast.

Chris

The obverse is beautiful, but the reverse doesn't look strong enough to make PL. Of course, I'd have to see it in hand to be sure, and there is a strong possibility the photos are taken just right to make the reverse look better than it is.

saw this coin on ebay. ngc graded 1880-S STAR MS65. Look at the amazing obverse! Super thick frost. Ok, the reverse isnt quite that frosty, but still, how can this coin not be at least PL?

And what would the right (more or less) price be for a coin like this? Between plain MS65 and DMPL MS 65?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320474147500&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123#ht_2913wt_991

The obverse may be DMPL, but the reverse doesnt look quite PL. The Star indicates a PL or DPL obverse, but doesnt differentiate which one.

Not only does the reverse miss PL by a long shot, but it looks like this seller has amped up his images to give the appearance of even more contrast than there really is. These look like juiced scans to me.

The price is simply too high for such a coin, in my opinion.