• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets see how you guys did, submission results are in.

8 posts in this topic

There has been some question in the past about whether or not the guys here grade too conservatively. So I figured I would make this post about my first submission results and prove or disprove that theory.

I received the results yesterday here are the coins that I sent in, the threads that I posted them in and what NGC thought about the coins.

First and foremost, I was expecting some of these to come back in details holders. I figured that since they were free submissions that I would use most of them for learning experiance. All 5 coins were bought raw.

Coin #1

1932 Eagle. This is the only coin I sent in that I knew for 100% certain would come back in a problem free holder. This is a coin that when I saw it in my dealers case it immediately struck me as an MS65. I actually expected it to come back as a 64 for a few reasons.

1) This is a high population year and it seems to me that when large number of a particular coin has been graded, it seems harder to get a gem grade. There are many many more 62-64s than 65s.

2) The price doubles from 64 to 65. When this is the case it seems that the TPGs err to the side of caution to keep the possiblity of liability from a possible downgrade low. So I knew that if it was to get a 65 grade it would have to be a dang solid 65.

3) As they say, ownership adds a grade or two. I knew that there was a possiblity that I might be seeing the coin in an overly possitive light due to the fact that it was mine and it took me quite a while to save up for it.

4) I bought it for high AU/ low MS price. I figured that maybe the B&M owner saw something that I didn't.

Here is the coin.

1932Eagle.jpg

And the thread it was disscussed in.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=178035&Number=3633298#Post3633298

The general concensus was 64/65. I am very very happy to report that NGC gave it an MS65. (thumbs u

Coin #2

An 1806 Half Dollar with scratches on the reverse.

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

And the thread it was discussed in.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=148188&Number=2881292#Post2881292

The general concensus was that it was a VF/XF details coin with most saying that it was VF. I was expecting XF because the coin has alot more luster than the pictures show.

NGC gave it VF details with "Rev scratched". You guys nailed that one.

Coin #3

An 1839 reeded edge CBH.

1.jpg

2.jpg

And the thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=175494&Number=3564471#Post3564471

Most said high end VF or XF.

I was expecting an XF 45. This coin has a nice patina with gorgeous toning to it and I thought it looked pretty original. It came back as XF details "Improper cleaning". When I was deciding which coins to send in, I decided this one because even though I like it a lot, something about it told me that it would get a details grade but I couldn't place a finger on why. Like I said, I sent some of these in for an education.

Now that I pay close attention to the pictures I see some disturbance in the field of the reverse that looks like it was lightly cleaned with baking soda or something many many years ago.

Coin #4 I have never posted on the board because I never could get good pictures of it. The pictures always came out looking like the coin was polished. It is not polished but has been dipped blast white. It is an Oregon commem that has a non distracting carbon spot on the obverse but the carbon spot has some dip residue sorounding it. I wanted to see if NGC thought it was too much. NGC gave it UNC details, improperly cleaned.

Coin #5

A 1907 Indian head cent.

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

And the thread that it was discussed in.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=159626&Number=3154697#Post3154697

Most of you guys said MS64BN if it didn't get bagged for AT. I have since learned that this pattern of toning and colors comes from the old Whitman folders. This coin also had some verdigris on the rim that I had since taken care of. I figured that I would see if NGC would give it the AT badge.They didn't...

They gave it UNC details, enviromentaly damaged instead lol

Major congrats on the eagle! That's a pretty significant profit. Yeah, the guys here are generally very good at grading, especially with decent pictures. Heck, we even have a former NGC grader amongst us.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I must say, I got E-mail comformation that they shipped it on the 14th and I received the package today :o 5 days from sent to received with a weekend and a holiday in between, that has to be a record for registered mail lol