• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Report - My 2nd FUN Show

18 posts in this topic

This was my second FUN show because I had such a wonderful experience last year. It is the largest show of the year and there are some great seminars if one can get away from the bourse. Of course, it is also an opportunity to see in hand coins at auction or just to drool and learn during lot viewing.

My objective was to continue to scan for pieces for my 1893 toned Philadelphia mint set I am building that I know will take me many years to complete (have the dime and quarter). I also am a fan of early copper, whether U.S. or British (Conder tokens).

I arrived on Wednesday and promptly went to the Heritage lot viewing after previewing their catalogues. I had targeted several large cents that I felt I had a chance at winning, assuming (wrongly) a limited turnout. My main target was to acquire a nice Matron cent and identified a nice Randall Hoard example. As you know, they are not rare and are often found in mint state. I especially like the die cracks along the stars that may not be special to some, but would be for me. So, after seeing a gorgeous representative in hand, I set my sight on Lot 104 – PCGS MS 64RB in an old green holder:

lf.jpg

lf-1.jpg

This would be one of the early lots sold since colonial pieces and early cents were up first in auction session one. I came about 25 minutes before the auction began and the room was about half full. Quickly the room filled up and I saw many of the heavy hitters who came to frolic – Laura Sperber from Legend, John Agre from CRO, and several of the early copper dealers; Doug Bird, Shawn Yancey, etc. I then figured that I was doomed since I don’t have the same guns as these cowboys do.

So, Lot 104 came up and once the 6 internet bidders exhausted themselves it was just me and……..

cvmlogo.gif

Oh no, I was already at my upper limit and after making a cut bid (and not doing so in a sufficiently dramatic manner, the auctioneer admonished me – smile, guess I need more practice!), I could not stomach keeping up with Chris and he was the winning bidder. I was duly crushed and disappointed. Yeah, there are a bazillion Randall Hoard large cents around, but I really liked this one. I didn’t think it would sell at the price it did – shows how much I know.

After watching the gunslingers for a few more lots, I slinked out to return to my rental condo. Thankfully, the next day would ultimately prove more productive.

If you have never visited a big show, there is nothing like walking into a convention center and seeing this (PCGS board member HighRelief’s photo of half the bourse):

FUNShow2010018-1.jpg

Ah, nirvana to a coin collector! Thursday was the first day for the public to attend the bourse. I decided to walk each aisle patiently looking for any nicely toned MS 1893 Indian cents or V Nickles and found none for me. I completed my tour in around 5 hours and my feet were sore from the trek. Along the way, I met a few dealers that I knew – Glenn Holsonbake (Holsonbake Numismatics), Evan Gale (Aspen Park), Gary Groll (Groll Coins – a Conder dealer), Ron Sirna (more Conders) and someone I always wanted to meet……Charmy Harker – The Penny Lady. She is such an upbeat personality and we share an enthusiasm for all kinds of early higher graded copper. She lives up to her first name!

I also got to meet a few board members along the way – Collect89, rld14, bluevette (who has taken pics of my tokens/coins) and his Dad mustang(?) and a couple of others I can’t remember now. Even so, I would have liked to see a few more, but didn’t because I was too lazy to arrange to do so prior to the show.

So, after a short break, I decided once more to roam the bourse for any other coin that struck my fancy. I had seen an attractive Braided Hair large center earlier and decided to once more take a view. It was priced at the maximum for my budget and, after thinking it over upon several repeat visits and inspections, I negotiated my purchase.

What do you think? Want to guess the grade? It is an N-8 variety (the reverse is slightly rotated and not shown in the pics). I fell in love with the tremendous ice blue luster on this piece. Brown pieces can be just as lovely as their redder counterparts. Pics are from Todd Pollock:

1.jpg

And so, I was broke for Friday, but used that day to see more Heritage lots, attend Skip Fazzari’s session on “How to Detect Coins with Altered Surfaces” and attend my first Fly-In Club meeting (I’m not a member) to hear Rick Snow talk about PCGS’ decision to no longer guarantee their copper color designation. I then regretfully left Saturday morning - with my one coin purchase and another enjoyable hobby experience.

good report and i am glad you had some fun!! at FUN

i would not worry about missing the randall hoard large copper

keep looking and you will find another randall hoard cent that is not only less money but nicer

WOW that 1854 large cent is WONDERFUL! :applause: Too bad I didn't see it, ;) but I was not shopping for those any way. By the picture it looks like and MS-67, brown. Since they almost never give that grade to brown coins, I'd say it's an MS-66,.

I think that the FUN show is best show of the year by far. The FUN people really put on a great show, and they treat everyone well, dealers and the public.

I am also at MS 66 Brown on that 1854 .

Beautiful coin. It looks a bit like a NGC MS66 Star that I bid on and lost at the September Long beach show.

Beautiful coin. It looks a bit like a NGC MS66 Star that I bid on and lost at the September Long beach show.

Bingo, Mark! And this is that coin!

Bingo, Mark! And this is that coin!

That is an outstanding coin, one of the best looking Brown cents I have seen up for auction. A coin like that is worth the strong money you paid for it. Even with the washed out pictures Heritage provided you could tell it was one of those special coins. Speaking of Heritage - I download their photos so I can adjust the contrast and color in Photoshop to get a better idea of what the coin probably looks like :-}

Mark - you should see this baby in hand.......I just had to have it. Probably buried forever in the price of the coin, but who cares if it becomes part of one's permanent collection?

There are 4 1854 66 BNs at NGC with this one being the only Star designee. PCGS has 11 BNs. As Bill asserted, the services don't grade browns any higher and I confirmed the population reports that there are none higher for this date. So, not that pop figures are important to me, merely interesting to have such a fine coin in my humble collection.

Now I'm motivated to find a companion half cent for this lovely lady!

That is a terrific writeup and it appears you had an outstanding time at the show. I believe you may be able to see me in the image of the bourse, but I will let folks guess which person I am. hm

...........I believe you may be able to see me in the image of the bourse, but I will let folks guess which person I am. hm

The fat guy in the yellow shirt. :roflmao:

Chris

Mark - you should see this baby in hand.......I just had to have it. Probably buried forever in the price of the coin, but who cares if it becomes part of one's permanent collection?

There are 4 1854 66 BNs at NGC with this one being the only Star designee. PCGS has 11 BNs. As Bill asserted, the services don't grade browns any higher and I confirmed the population reports that there are none higher for this date. So, not that pop figures are important to me, merely interesting to have such a fine coin in my humble collection.

Dan, perhaps you meant 4 MS66BN's of that variety? For the date, the NGC Census Report shows 18. Still, I love the way the coin looks in the images.

Dan, perhaps you meant 4 MS66BN's of that variety? For the date, the NGC Census Report shows 18. Still, I love the way the coin looks in the images.

Mark, That was one of the coins you pre screened for me. You liked it but we both knew it would probably go for a good premium. I stopped bidding at $ 1000 :-) .

That is a terrific writeup and it appears you had an outstanding time at the show. I believe you may be able to see me in the image of the bourse, but I will let folks guess which person I am. hm

I see you Tom , way in the back under the 700 sign :/

...........I believe you may be able to see me in the image of the bourse, but I will let folks guess which person I am. hm

The fat guy in the yellow shirt. :roflmao:

Chris

FUNShow2010018-1-1.jpgDSCN0036-1.jpg Gotcha. (thumbs u