• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RANT!!!! ARCHIVED THREADS ARE USELESS WITHOUT IMAGES!

37 posts in this topic

I like to go back and reread some of the threads and view the images, but so many of them have the pictures deleted because they are hosted by a program like Photobucket. In many instances, the user deletes images to make room for new ones. The result is that the images disappear from the thread, leaving the reader nothing but a "red x". What good is this for someone who needs a "refresher course"?

What I don't understand is why someone who can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a single coin won't buy a photo management program like ACDSee Pro 3 for about $200. Not only can one host the photos from their own computer, but they can keep and manage them indefinitely, and they will never disappear from a thread.

I try not to complain too much or too often, but this really bugs me.

Chris

I don't understand why people delete Photobucket hosted photos "to make room".

I have thousands of images in my (free) Photobucket and I have plenty of room left still. I never delete any of my images because I feel the same way you do!

I checked into Photobucket about 5 or 6 years ago, and at that time the free version had a limit on the number of images that could be posted. It must have remained that way for some time because if you go back into our archives and pull up some of the threads from just 1-2 years back, the images are deleted.

Chris

What I don't understand is why someone who can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a single coin won't buy a photo management program like ACDSee Pro 3 for about $200. Not only can one host the photos from their own computer, but they can keep and manage them indefinitely, and they will never disappear from a thread.

Chris

I sorry but I would never pay that much.

When I sell coins I delete them from my Photobucket account.....

I have never needed to have some program that allows me to keep them available via my own URLs forever???

The only exception is that all of my Mint set toners I have pulled out of original mints sets are still in my photbucket like a picture library.....I won't delete those.

I have never needed to have some program that allows me to keep them available via my own URLs forever???

The only exception is that all of my Mint set toners I have pulled out of original mints sets are still in my photbucket like a picture library.....I won't delete those.

But, just like your "Divorce Morgan", wouldn't it be a good idea to keep the photos on file? You never know when a coin you sold years ago may come up for discussion or resale or whatever.

Chris

I sorry but I would never pay that much.

Jaime, the program I mentioned does a lot more than just manage the images.

Chris

But, just like your "Divorce Morgan", wouldn't it be a good idea to keep the photos on file? You never know when a coin you sold years ago may come up for discussion or resale or whatever.

That's what my hard drive is for......but even still I sometime delete them from there as well but not often. (shrug)

Its hard to keep up what you've posted links to. I have a ton of files on my server.. usually when I don't own the coin anymore I delete the file.. haven't done so with some since I know I linked them. Somewhere lol

How does it keep them from disappearing when my computer isn't connected to the net?

How does it keep them from disappearing when my computer isn't connected to the net?

Isn't that like filling your car with gas, but you don't have a motor in it?

Chris

I don't know why people delete images from Photobucket unless they are putting a lot more on than just their coins. After a couple of years I'm at 16% of capacity.

Of course I crop all of my coin pictures to make them smaller.

The only pieces you will find a "RED X from me will be on images that I have moved to sub albums. Some time ago I found that having one big album was impossible to manage so I divided the pictures by category. Some of them had to be moved so on some of my very old posts you might find the dreaded "RED X." ;)

This sounds like a pet peeve I would have but it really doesn't bother me that much. I am sure that if I were to be looking at the archives a lot like some of you I would feel differently. I for one delete my photos after I sale them just or get better photos.

I don't see myself spending that much money on a photo program when I could put it to a coin. If I were to be looking at the archives a lot I think I would get a eazy PDF program and went you first read these things just make that a PDF and save it on your computer. This away you will have the orginal even if the photo shows up missing or the server were to crash. PDF programs can be found for free and you would be able to find a nice on for $200.

To me it would be better to go with the PDF program then the photo program. The photo program only solves this problem for one person were the PDF program would fix it for you.

Just think of being able to take the archives with you where ever you go on a pdf viewer which are getting more and more popluar and i am sure the prices will be coming down on them too.

This sounds like a pet peeve I would have but it really doesn't bother me that much. I am sure that if I were to be looking at the archives a lot like some of you I would feel differently. I for one delete my photos after I sale them just or get better photos.

I don't see myself spending that much money on a photo program when I could put it to a coin. If I were to be looking at the archives a lot I think I would get a eazy PDF program and went you first read these things just make that a PDF and save it on your computer. This away you will have the orginal even if the photo shows up missing or the server were to crash. PDF programs can be found for free and you would be able to find a nice on for $200.

To me it would be better to go with the PDF program then the photo program. The photo program only solves this problem for one person were the PDF program would fix it for you.

Just think of being able to take the archives with you where ever you go on a pdf viewer which are getting more and more popluar and i am sure the prices will be coming down on them too.

That's a good point, but the program that I use, ACDSee, has a lot more features to it than just a source for storage. As a matter of fact, anyone who sells on eBay would find its tools a big help. Even though I decided not to try my hand at selling on eBay, that is the primary reason that I bought it.

Chris

I will not pay $200 for such a program when I can use Photobucket for free.

Exactly. On a side note, if anyone wants to see a picture that I may have posted and then moved, just PM me and I probably still have it on my hard drive.

If I see a thread that I am interested in and want to use it for future reference, I copy and paste to a word spreadsheet and put it in my Coin Info folder on my PC. :idea:

That's really funny - I started to post something very similar to the OP just a few weeks ago, but deleted it because I didn't have time to get my thoughts in order properly.

First, to address the issue of photo hosting: I have webspace that I use to host my website. I don't pay much - I think it's around $4-5 a month or something like that. Not only do I get a website, email, etc., I can also host as many photos as I want for use on forums (and easily access, edit, or replace them as needed).

I've been thinking lately about how much cultural value forum postings may represent to future historians. A lot of interesting content is generated by 'average joes' that I think represents an interesting cross-section of the views, opinions, and thoughts of we early internet pioneers. And we are 'early pioneers' in the information age. I worry that nobody seems to be properly (permanently and centrally) documenting the immense wealth of information that's presented on forums such as this one. I suspect that in 100 years - or less - people will be regretting not keeping better archives. I'm aware of the internet archive, which I think is working along the right ideas. I just think more should be being done.

I dunno, it's a half-baked thought.

That's really funny - I started to post something very similar to the OP just a few weeks ago, but deleted it because I didn't have time to get my thoughts in order properly.

First, to address the issue of photo hosting: I have webspace that I use to host my website. I don't pay much - I think it's around $4-5 a month or something like that. Not only do I get a website, email, etc., I can also host as many photos as I want for use on forums (and easily access, edit, or replace them as needed).

I've been thinking lately about how much cultural value forum postings may represent to future historians. A lot of interesting content is generated by 'average joes' that I think represents an interesting cross-section of the views, opinions, and thoughts of we early internet pioneers. And we are 'early pioneers' in the information age. I worry that nobody seems to be properly (permanently and centrally) documenting the immense wealth of information that's presented on forums such as this one. I suspect that in 100 years - or less - people will be regretting not keeping better archives. I'm aware of the internet archive, which I think is working along the right ideas. I just think more should be being done.

I dunno, it's a half-baked thought.

Yeah, it's a good thing the founding fathers saved the Declaration of Indepence to a PDF file.

Chris

I like to go back and reread some of the threads and view the images, but so many of them have the pictures deleted because they are hosted by a program like Photobucket. In many instances, the user deletes images to make room for new ones. The result is that the images disappear from the thread, leaving the reader nothing but a "red x". What good is this for someone who needs a "refresher course"?

Chris

105stsnowstorm4.jpg

Chris

105stsnowstorm4.jpg

(worship)

In order satisfy this requirement, the original posters would have to go back and submit all of their pictures every time they moved or replaced a picture in their Photobucket albums. I replace pictures in Photobucket now and then when I take better ones.

I’m an old guy, and I can’t remember what I posted yesterday, let alone last year. :preach: Requirements like this might make sense for a set of permanent articles that offer ready access for research on a on-going basis, but for casual posts, I think we a asking a bit too much.

Threads are like ice cream cones. They're meant to be consumed and enjoyed immediately.

If you wait too long you only end up with a melted, sloppy, gooey treat. Still tastes pretty good, but now you've got a mess to clean up afterward.

Threads are like ice cream cones. They're meant to be consumed and enjoyed immediately.

If you wait too long you only end up with a melted, sloppy, gooey treat. Still tastes pretty good, but now you've got a mess to clean up afterward.

Threads are only as good as the tailor.

Chris