• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post- FUN Update

12 posts in this topic

One of the things that I hoped to find at FUN was a copy of Mitchiner's book Jetons, Medalets and Tokens - The Low Countries and France. This reference work covers the period 1550-1914 and is used by NGC to determine which medals are accepted for grading from those countries. The "book store" at FUN did have a copy of it, but he wanted $225 and that price was firm.

Thanks to one of the members here (forgive me but I've forgotten who it was) who gave me a link to an eBay seller of the same book before I went to Orlando, I was able to buy it at a pretty good savings. The seller had a BIN of 79 GBP with a non-negotiable 35 GBP shipping to the U.S. and a "Make Offer". So, after looking up the conversion rate of USD to GBP, I submitted an offer of 58 GBP which he accepted.

It's a good thing I resisted the urge to buy the book at FUN because I just saved myself $70. Sure, I could have brought the book home with me immediately, but I would have had to lug that heavy sucker around the bourse with me all day. I'm not in that much of a rush. I can wait 10 more days.

Chris

Buy the book before the coin! Of course, you seem to be taking the approach - buy the library before the coin.

Is that what you're supposed to do? I guess I should return 800+ medals and ask for my money back.

Actually, I use the books as ballast in my galleon.

Chris