• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New type set addition Gobrecht Dollar

43 posts in this topic

I have been looking for a Gobrecht dollar with decent eye appeal for over 15 years. I had a bead on a nice J60 at the ANA in LA but my flight left before the floor auction began and somehow my phone bid never happened!! :censored:

There are usually 9-10 Gobrechts on the bourse floor at any major coin show most of which are J60 and 99.9% of the time they are dark with subdued proof fields and zero eye appeal. I have seen two J60's that I liked in 15 years (I was the under bidder on The Eliasberg coin in 1997 and the aforementioned ANA coin).

I really had my focus on the J60 but then this coin passed in front of my eyes and I couldn't say no.

J104-Gobrecht.jpg

I am still planning to add the J60 if a nice one comes along...... who knows maybe I'll be able to track down the coin I missed in LA but until then this will scratch the itch. :)

My dream coin.................... ^^

Absolutely gorgeous................Major congrat's..................MJ

i would have said yes, too. :) I know that there has been quite a bit of recent research on the dies to determine emission sequence and restrikes, but I haven't followed it closely. Are you in the Breen/Julian camp or in the Gray/Carboneau camp?

Can you see on your example of the J104 where Gobrecht's name was effaced from the master dies for J60?

Beautiful coin. (thumbs u

Congratulations Mark. It would be funny, if one day, you posted a less than extremely impressive addition to your collection. But based on what you buy, I can't see that happening. ;)

I've been seriously depressed ever since I viewed this coin. Call it coin envy. I'm going to be sick........I love that coin.................MJ

Magnificent coin! Great addition for your type set. You have a superb eye when it comes to collecting.

I love the flying eagle on the Gobrecht dollar.

Boiler,

You eye for coins is amazing. Most people post their coins and I think "that's nice" or "cool". Everytime you post one of your coins, my immediate reaction is OMFG and I have stood up out of my chair on more than one occasion. While I can't really appreciate the beauty of your current purchase from a photo, I think we all can rest assured that given you eye for quality, the rarity of the Gobrecht Dollar, and the fact that it took you 15 years to find one that met your standards that this coin is nothing short of phenomenal.

Congratulations on finding what must be the holy grail of your collection. SUPERB! (worship)

Trade you my Ferrari and a full tank of gas for that Gobecht . :/

That coin is nothing short of spectacular .

You did not list the coins grade , I will guess that it is a PF 64