• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super toned DMPL.....

38 posts in this topic

talking about counterfeit, i recently called the local secret service to complain about a new strain of chinese fake silver dollars which are actually 90% silver. the agent was really surprised to hear about whats going on on ebay. (shows how much in the know those guys are...) gave him a couple listing numbers and NEVER HEARD BACK. needless to say nothing has changed on ebay.

now, considering silver dollars are still legal tender, how come the freakin chinese are allowed to sell what is essentially counterfeit money here with ebay's tacit approval?

just because there is a small mark that says 'copy' its ok? you ask them and they send it without the mark anyway!

you try and sell copies of gucci bags or the like on ebay and you will be in jail in a blink of an eye. what they are doing is no different than printing dollar bills... but seems like we are afraid to rock the board with our largest creditor.

There is a technicality in the Chinese law. The private firms producing U.S. coins in China are not required to stamp them with "COPY" if they are intended for sale in the Asian market. Europeans are taking advantage of that and buying them through the Asian market. From Europe, they are making their way into the U.S. through outlets like eBay U.K.

Coin World went to China to interview the owner of one of the larger private mints in 2008, I think, and the big topic of their discussion was the counterfeit U.S. coins. They're not made from silver. It costs way too much. The coins weigh slightly less than the real McCoy, but it only costs about 50c to produce a Morgan.

The reason they can make them look so realistic is because they are using the original machinery that the U.S. Mint used to produce them. You see, when China decided to build a mint facility in Shanghai sometime around 1920, the U.S. helped them by providing them with all of the U.S. Mint's outdated equipment. To show their appreciation, the Chinese government designed their mint facility with a facade exactly like that of the old Philadelphia Mint. After decades of use, the Chinese Mint decided to upgrade to more modern equipment. The old equipment was sold as scrap for next-to-nothing, and some quick-thinking "entrepreneurs" bought it, reconditioined it and set up shop making U.S. coins.

Chris

interesting stuff, BUT i have seen chinese fakes on ebay that ARE 90% silver and they go for $20. of course, the mint dates they use are of coins costing 500+ !!!

When was the last time you personally assayed one of those coins. Never? What did you do, take the word of the seller that it was the gospel truth? I'm done with you. No one can tell you anything. You know it all! So, if you're so darned smart, why do you waste your time with such uneducated people like us? I'm wasting my time! Goodbye!

Chris

Read this carefully and let me know if there are any words you don't understand.

http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins/ig/Chinese-Counterfeiting-Ring/Fake-Morgan-Dollars---Edges.htm

I note that the text in image #5 states that the counterfeits may or may not be struck with .900 silver. Isn't that was his statement was?

Really is a great presentation on the subject, thanks for the link. I love the last one with the fake details-cleaned slabs. Great idea, who would send in a cleaned coin for cross-over?