• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1832 Half dime. Opinions?

23 posts in this topic

Usually I post my NEWPs in the sticky thread but I wanted to know your guys thoughts on this coin.

Picked this up from a local B&M. It is raw.

Sorry about my fingers getting in the way :blush:

1832H10Cobv.jpg

1832H10Crev.jpg

Looks dipped (or otherwise stripped) and retoned. It’s a MA look (if there aren't too many hairlines) that can draw a premium. I personally try to buy more original looking coins, particularly in these early issues. JMHO

Thanks for the opinions (thumbs u

I agree with the folks that said cleaned and retoned. It does appear to have had a light dip in the past at some point but not enough to impair the luster and it has no hairlines. It is a great looking coin for sure. :cloud9:

I would say probably cleaned with baking soda a long time ago. That accounts for the hairlines, which are not too bad and should not prevent it from grading. Since then it has gotten some some nice album toning. I'd grade it AU-50. The sharpness grade is a little higher, but the hairlines knock it down 5 to 8 points.

I agree with the rest - but I also agree that it is an attractive coin that should have no trouble getting in a slab, at least from those pictures. Nice pickup.
Yup.

Fun coin. (thumbs u

I would say probably cleaned with baking soda a long time ago. That accounts for the hairlines, which are not too bad and should not prevent it from grading.

Bill, Neither in hand under a loupe (10X) or in the pictures I do not see any hairlines. Perhaps there is a chance for me to learn something here! What are you seeing that I am not?

This coin has been dipped and retoned in an album. That isnt necessarily a bad thing, that is, it wont prevent certification unless the luster is totally gone. I see no cleaning hairlines, but I see handling lines, typical of a lightly circulated coin. It grades AU58.

1832H10Cobv.jpg

I drew arrows to the obvious lines in the image. They resemble cleaning hairlines because they are parallel. However, they are most likely from light circulation or cabinet friction/album storage, based on what I can see.

lol I just logged back in to specify that I didn't see any obvious cleaning hairlines but like you pointed out there are some light handling lines.

As far as luster, this coin has a wonderful cartwheel. :)

Well, I submitted the coin at the ANA show... I guess I paid for an opinion and got one. :P

Stay calm! NGC is nuts on toning right now. Submit it again in another year or so, but I might crack it in the meantime and let it keep album toning. I recently picked up a very similar looking half dime, and it fills the album hole beautifully!

Well, I submitted the coin at the ANA show... I guess I paid for an opinion and got one. :P

Stay calm! NGC is nuts on toning right now. Submit it again in another year or so, but I might crack it in the meantime and let it keep album toning. I recently picked up a very similar looking half dime, and it fills the album hole beautifully!

Why resubmit it, even at a later time? Just enjoy it, as is, and forget about a re-grade.