• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2000 Millennium Coin & Currency sets

2 posts in this topic

I have been told that inorder for NGC to certify the Sacagawea and Silver eagle dollars in this set, the entire package has to be sealed (completely unopened). What I'm saying is that the set is mailed from the U.S. Mint in a white cardboard container and when this container is opened, the set is sealed in cellophane. I understand that the mylar enclosed sac, eagle and dollar bill cannot be tampered with, but why must the outer packaging cellophane be also sealed in order to qualify for certification.

This requirement doesn't allow for the coin collector to inspect the set to see if the one dollar bill has a low serial number, thus possibly keeping the set intact.

I do not believe that other certification services require this.

Can you comment on why there are presently only 26 of these sets certified by NGC?

Thanks for your input.

• Administrator

In the past we have required the outer cellophane remain sealed in order to qualify for certification. However, recently we have accepted sets where the outer cellophane is not sealed.

Please keep in mind that the mylar enclosed sac, eagle and dollar bill still cannot be tampered with to qualify for certification.