• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned 1881 Proof Like Morgan

16 posts in this topic

I am back with a very interesting coin. As my previous posts have shown I am a lover of toned or otherwise somewhat unusual coins. Just got this 1881 Morgan in todays mail and it blew me away. Toned (i knew that) but PL underneath. Plus the obverse seems almost flawless.... OK guys, go knock me off my cloud....

Just could not succeed getting a more useful pic of the reverse. kept getting that negative effect cause it reflect so much light. So i guess lets take that side out of the equation.

1881plf.jpg

1881plb.jpg

The 81S is known for having one of the nicest strikes in the series and PL specimens are readily available....................MS66

Chris

The surfaces are almost to smooth, I can not see a mark of the face . I circled two areas of concern .

1) There is always a indent mark on the neck of these coins - I do not clearly see it here - maybe it is your picture

2) On the cap there is an area that looks strange maybe a planchet flaw - once again it may be your photo.

What worries me is with a face that smooth and the lack of mark on the neck it is possible that the coin may have been puttied .

If this coin is genuine and not played with then it is high grade of at least MS 66 .

92023.jpg.a0d7afd02c110eb7290646772ecda0b8.jpg

What does puttied mean? Dont tell me yet another way coin doctors prop up lesser value coins? :-(

I sent if off to NGC for grading today as early bird, so it should not take too long to see what we really have here!

What does puttied mean? Dont tell me yet another way coin doctors prop up lesser value coins? :-(

I sent if off to NGC for grading today as early bird, so it should not take too long to see what we really have here!

Putty is often used on Gold and sometimes Silver coins to hide imperfections .

The face on that coin is so smooth it just makes me suspicious.

It could also be the angle of your photo.

Was this an EBAy purchase ?? If so who was the seller ??

Agreed, MS65+. Usually a strong strike. I like the toning. No way to tell from pics if this is a PL example

Looks that way to me too.

The pictures would appear to be hiding something.....the toning looks legit so it is possble the coin was cleaned and developed the toning after words....or the coin could be 100% legit with nice clean fields and minimal contact marks. I think most of us are skeptical becuase of what we can't see in the images and I hope you end up with a nice MS coin out of the deal if that's what you paid for it (thumbs u

The cheek angled with difussed lighting can high a ton of marks so do you see any hits or abraisons at all around liberties face?

Toning looks market acceptable :) and have seen this type before in holders

In lieu of the pictures I am staying on the skeptical side with the grade

MS64 not PL

The surfaces on the obverse look very strange in the images and also the notch in the lower neck is not visible. This is part of the design and folks who photoshop out flaws might be tempted to remove this notch if they do not realize that it belongs on the coin. Take a look at the Morgan dollar in my registry set, link in my signature, to see what this notch should look like.