• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Two feathered indians.

9 posts in this topic

I was going through my Buffalo nickels and realized that I had a 1920S that is a two feather variety. It is a nice problem free AG3.

I looked it up in the Cherrypickers guide and it has it listed as a URS rarity of 6. Which would be 17 to 32 known. Is that number accurate?

Thanks Micheal for the auction link. Mine has slightly more detail than that I think but its pretty close.

Thanks Shamika, I figured about the same but had to ask. I find this to be a pretty neat variety.

I believe the URS scale is different from the more common rarity scale (R6). In the URS scale, 6 is rather common. (If I recall, Bowers was behind, or a driving force, in the implementation of the URS scale)

your welcome ray

now personally myself i was trying to say the coin is rather common

not to say it isnt a great coin............... it is and very collectible!!

many buff nick people just collect the 2 feathers and look for them all of the time as more and more are being discovered everyday

I believe the URS scale is different from the more common rarity scale (R6). In the URS scale, 6 is rather common. (If I recall, Bowers was behind, or a driving force, in the implementation of the URS scale)

The numbers I put were for the URS scale, not the Sheldon scale. In the URS scale the higher in number you go the more common.

Micheal, thank you for your additional input. (thumbs u

"Rarity" for two-feathered varieties in Buffs would be very unreliable, no matter what kind of scale would be used. Many collectors ignore it altogether, which makes it almost impossible to get realistic census data.

There are approximately 30 different 'date/mint' combination's that are considered traditional abraded die (ADE) varieties. They were produced by abrading (or polishing) of the die(s) to remove the evidence of die clashes. On the obverse this is usually restricted to the small,partial feather closest to the neck or the designers initial. Similar efforts on the reverse produced the 3 legged and 3 1/2 legged varieties.

Several of the varieties are fairly common (although it may still be a URS 8 or 9) in lower grades. Finding examples in higher grades can be a challenge, but they are out there.

I have my herd of 2-Feather Buffs in an old Wayte Raymond album that provides a classic touch and allows me to regularly check on them.

93454.jpg.af22ee3ad0b9e40123d4e7a86d05b236.jpg

93455.jpg.cb280f6b5a6fbaeb0c16725cd680491d.jpg

93456.jpg.958db553e193ee303d3c57c36279b28d.jpg

93457.jpg.7e940bc69e67f0d9555ee7ba5f258189.jpg