• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How'd this happen?

22 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.It's the Broken one again. Okay,dumb question. I sent in a bunch of(11) coins to NGC. I got 4 rejects.Surprised on a couple of those. But this is the kicker,I had bought an 1880/9 S CAM 11 for $29.00, I was thinking It was a 63 or 64 at best.I planned on selling that one. Anyway,today I got the ship notice and looked up the grades. To my surprise it's an MS 66. To say the least,I need more work on my grading skills,you think? Funny thing is,a ICG Morgan graded MS66 that looked much nicer got a 65.Hmmm. Got a nice 64 Star on an another and a couple 64 PL's which one I thought was a DPL. Back to the classroom.

I am still surprised by my submission also.

It is weird when you think a coin is MS64 and it comes back MS66.

I once thought a coin was MS67 and it came back MS64..... hm I still don't know why!!

Yeah guys, pictures ASAP!! Promise. I do have some raw pics if you want to see those.But to be honest,I need to check the 80/9 S before I post pics because I'm not 100% sure I'm talking about the same coin. I think so,going by the purchase date and my attempt to sell date(I tried getting $99,no bids.ha!!) for a $300.00 coin and finally the submission date.

Hey everyone.It's the Broken one again. Okay,dumb question. I sent in a bunch of(11) coins to NGC. I got 4 rejects.Surprised on a couple of those. But this is the kicker,I had bought an 1880/9 S CAM 11 for $29.00, I was thinking It was a 63 or 64 at best.I planned on selling that one. Anyway,today I got the ship notice and looked up the grades. To my surprise it's an MS 66. To say the least,I need more work on my grading skills,you think? Funny thing is,a ICG Morgan graded MS66 that looked much nicer got a 65.Hmmm. Got a nice 64 Star on an another and a couple 64 PL's which one I thought was a DPL. Back to the classroom.

Why dont you just sell me that ms66 for the ms64 you were thinking it was? As I see it this would be very helpful to you as it would remove it from your collection and you would not have to think of how bad your grading skills are. :)

Why dont you just sell me that ms66 for the ms64 you were thinking it was? As I see it this would be very helpful to you as it would remove it from your collection and you would not have to think of how bad your grading skills are. :)

That's a thought.Thanks,but that boat has sailed.

Prudden, would you mind letting me know what the invoice date was on your order? I was just wondering what their turnaround time is like right now as I have some coins that are "scheduled to be graded".

Congrats on the MS66!

Yeah guys, pictures ASAP!! Promise. I do have some raw pics if you want to see those.But to be honest,I need to check the 80/9 S before I post pics because I'm not 100% sure I'm talking about the same coin. I think so,going by the purchase date and my attempt to sell date(I tried getting $99,no bids.ha!!) for a $300.00 coin and finally the submission date.

According to my 2008 copy of VAMView (2009 will be released at FUN 2010), the 1880-S, VAM 11 is valued at $600, and this figure is based on actual sales history.

Chris

Prudden, would you mind letting me know what the invoice date was on your order? I was just wondering what their turnaround time is like right now as I have some coins that are "scheduled to be graded".

Congrats on the MS66!

Thanks,I am very,very happy to find a 66 morgan in "THE RAW". Especially for the stupid money I paid.

The invoice for the coupons was exactly on the money.They received it on the 4th of Dec. and shipped on 12/22.They don't count weekends. And today,I just got a pink slip left in the mailbox for pickup for the second batch(two in on-one).Those also received by NGC on the 4th. Those were billed on the Economy(slow) tier. I think they did very well this time although like almost everyone here,I do not agree with some of their conclusions.

I sent some Morgans to NGC and about 9 days later I sent in some Silver Eagles from the nineties ansenssd one form 1986. I already got back the Eagles. The Morgans were finalized yesterday. I looked up te Moderns and they still have 12 business days,however, the Economy tier for the Morgans went from 21 business days to 39 business days. Possibly it was because of the holidays/

I sent some Morgans to NGC and about 9 days later I sent in some Silver Eagles from the nineties ansenssd one form 1986. I already got back the Eagles. The Morgans were finalized yesterday. I looked up te Moderns and they still have 12 business days,however, the Economy tier for the Morgans went from 21 business days to 39 business days. Possibly it was because of the holidays/

Naturally, the Morgans take more time! The SAE's are placed on a conveyor belt and the graders glance at them as they pass by.

Chris

I'm still waiting on a submission I mailed on 11/19/09. It was 6 coins on the economy tier. This was my 1st submission to NGC so I had no expectations about how long it would take. I figure they will be here sometime this month.

I once thought a coin was MS67 and it came back MS64..... hm I still don't know why!!

Because it was a 64!

Chris lol

Chris,

There's a thought.Threw me a bone,you think? One reason for my estimate is the three small carbon spots around the obverse rim. I think these are pics of the coin before I submitted it. It's shot through a plastic holder so the details aren't great,but that's it.It does look better in hand,without a doubt.The neck and most of the face are incredibly lustrous and stand out. I'll get photos of the slabbed coin as soon as it arrives It.Should have been here already.The mailman got the pink slip Wednesday.They usually deliver next day.

80S1.jpg

80S2.jpg

Pete..................Great strike on your Morgan.

Schatzy and Dean,

Thanks guys,Do you think it makes a 66. I had forgotten all about the carbon on the upper left reverse. It's a good strike but all 80 S's were good to great. Those are the pics I used on Ebay for $99.00. Man,I was expecting delivery today,but they guy who signed forgot one of the checkboxes.Arrggghhh.

P.S Dean.

Got the 79 IHC.Looks really great so far,it has bluish green tone on both sides.Not too dramatic. I've only looked it over by eye No details or photos.. Should take me a couple/few hours.