• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin World TPG ???

17 posts in this topic

Just got this (from Ebay purchase) and was planning to crack it out to fill a type coin space. I've never heard of coins coming graded in "Coin World" holders. Is this something new, old, or ???

91901.jpg.8db9266690936988226566f593a55c65.jpg

91902.jpg.17900f1a6c5ca1d71a298c238ecf45d5.jpg

91903.jpg.47cf5bb7f5fc4f2bc117c7f93a4f8aee.jpg

91904.jpg.f51161bfb1d6c16bda5ecfb977b799e7.jpg

Old. I remember seeing something about this a while back, so there are some peeps here who will be able to fill you in on how accurate they were I imagine...

CoinWorld sells the holders - anyone can buy them, they come in three pieces to allow you to put the coin inside and encapsulate it like an actual slabbed coin.

The bad thing about this is that it has opened the door for third-world slabbers, "companies" who "certify" coins out of their garage.

I wouldn't be surprised if something was wrong with the coin - Can't quite tell from the photos. Often these people will put problem coins in the holders with inflated grades to attempt to sell them for more money.

Coins in holders like this should be treated as if they were raw, because really that's what they are. These holders are no different than an airtight or a plastic flip. They can be opened and closed easily.

Old. I remember seeing something about this a while back, so there are some peeps here who will be able to fill you in on how accurate they were I imagine...

CoinWorld does not offer a grading or certification service, and they never have (to my knowledge). The "grading company" in question here is NGS, a made-up service by a person who slabs coins himself. CoinWorld simply sells the holders, and people make up the grades. That would also explain why you think it's a 45 instead of the 55 on the label.

Got it. Easiest "crack out" EVER! I bought it assuming it was no better than a 45 (and the seller did not represent it as anything better than XF either) so no worries here. Thanks for the info.

Just got this (from Ebay purchase) and was planning to crack it out to fill a type coin space. I've never heard of coins coming graded in "Coin World" holders. Is this something new, old, or ???

National Goober Society

I'd like to hear more about this "Full Tail." I don't think I've ever heard that one before.

Let's talk tail!

91907.jpg.142471677bdce6c099f106f4f955a15f.jpg

CoinWorld sells the holders - anyone can buy them, they come in three pieces to allow you to put the coin inside and encapsulate it like an actual slabbed coin.

The bad thing about this is that it has opened the door for third-world slabbers, "companies" who "certify" coins out of their garage.

I wouldn't be surprised if something was wrong with the coin - Can't quite tell from the photos. Often these people will put problem coins in the holders with inflated grades to attempt to sell them for more money.

Coins in holders like this should be treated as if they were raw, because really that's what they are. These holders are no different than an airtight or a plastic flip. They can be opened and closed easily.

absolutely correct and in fact this above statement should be required by ebay for any slabbed coin auction where the "slabbing" company is not well known

or where they use regular non sealed coin holders and promote the slabbing to unwary coin buyers

CoinWorld does not offer a grading or certification service, and they never have (to my knowledge). The "grading company" in question here is NGS, a made-up service by a person who slabs coins himself. CoinWorld simply sells the holders, and people make up the grades. That would also explain why you think it's a 45 instead of the 55 on the label.

also add on this above statement

sums up these coin slabbers and ebay quite well (thumbs u

Coin World began selling the shells in 2002 and at that time I predicted that they would lead to everyone and his brother creating their own grading service and that we would be flooded with fy-by-night grading services. Unfortunately I was correct. Then after the Coin World shells came the Safe-slab shells, and most recently the CSI shells.

Before the generic shells became available the cost of designing and having shells created was one of the major obstacles to a grading service want-to-be because the cost of tooling up the injection dies needed for the shells ran into the tens of thousands of dollars. Once someone else made that investment and stated selling the shells, a grading service could then be started up for a couple hundred bucks.

"FULL TAIL , MY BUTT.

I guess this enterprising fly by night grader has come up with a new one to go along with “Full Bands,” “Full Head,” and “Full Bell Lines.” So far as I’m concerned his is FULL OF IT. :sumo: