• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

They are putting the hammer down again across the street

136 posts in this topic

There is no way anyone would put up with being talked to like this in any type of B&M store so why the internet?

If it was from a high ranking member of PCGS what makes you so sure that people wouldnt accept it in person? There is more approval than dissention for that post ATS.

I still can't figure out how to delete my PCGS account!

Go over there and express your thoughts. They will then be happy to delete your account.

There is no way anyone would put up with being talked to like this in any type of B&M store so why the internet?

If it was from a high ranking member of PCGS what makes you so sure that people wouldnt accept it in person? There is more approval than dissention for that post ATS.

Go over there and express your thoughts. They will then be happy to delete your account.

"Suicide by Moderator" :cool:

Man, how true is that!?!

Is there a way to delete one's pcgs account? I logged in and apparently I do still have an active account there. I can’t find a way to delete my account though.

Go over and call us an ethnic slur like "Uncle Tom" simply because many of us welcome the idea of PCGS cleaning the place up. They will be happy to solve your problem for you.

under the new rules I would have been banned over a post I made some time back. I wonder who will be the first axed. I am for the new rules about the name calling part, but the part about only PCGS all the time seems to be very backwards. Carry on...

Is there a way to delete one's pcgs account? I logged in and apparently I do still have an active account there. I can’t find a way to delete my account though.

Congrats. Your incoherent blather has received a lot of attention ATS.

The post applauding the new rules sickens me. I hate Uncle Toms.
That seems like an extremely harsh and unfair insult to those posters. How do you know what they really think and what their motives were for posting what they did?

Every time pcgs comes down on the posters there are always a number of posters who feel obligated to say “… we are guests here…”, “…this pcgs’s forum…”, “I applaud pcgs,” whatever. It’s weak. It’s an uncle Tom attitude and it makes my stomach turn.

Typically some posters strongly disapprove of such policy statements, while others, applaud it. And it seems perfectly reasonable to expect that among a large group of posters, there would be differing opinions, even honest ones. I seriously doubt that you personally know most of them. So for you to play mind reader, assume you know how they really feel/think and insult them like that, seems as bad as what you accuse them of.

I don’t know what you’re arguing about. Read rule #9 again. PCGS went out of its way to disenfranchise the posters on that board. Then, some board members applauded PCGS’s actions of not only showing no interest to listen to the posters but publicly stating it on the forum in which they, the posters, post.

A number of posters apparently liked and/or applauded the fact that PCGS was going to be tougher about a number of different things, including (quoted from the post by Don Willis):

" crude or vulgar pictures or language "

" attacking another poster or making disparaging personal remarks"

" making slanderous remarks concerning any individual, any company, or any other entity "

" Snide remarks and other negative comments "

"Posts relating to other grading companies or service "

And you called them "uncle Tom's", which was way out of line and highly inappropriate, especially considering that you don't know that they didn't mean/believe what they wrote. Maybe you should look up the expression.

So Mark, I commented in that post that your first thread after the rule change was a violation of the rules as well as that very specific thread being a violation of the rules. So, what did Willis do? He deleted my remark and your thread and then banned me. That sound fair to you? You, a person that had been banned for years and then came back as if nothing had ever happened. Yep, that's PCGS's version of fairness.

Go over and call us an ethnic slur like "Uncle Tom" simply because many of us welcome the idea of PCGS cleaning the place up. They will be happy to solve your problem for you.

Last time I'm going to point this out to you...

a member of a low-status group who is overly subservient to or cooperative with authority

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uncle%20tom

That definition exactly what I meant. Nothing more.

So Mark, I commented in that post that your first thread after the rule change was a violation of the rules as well as that very specific thread being a violation of the rules. So, what did Willis do? He deleted my remark and your thread and then banned me. That sound fair to you? You, a person that had been banned for years and then came back as if nothing had ever happened. Yep, that's PCGS's version of fairness.

Welcome and Enjoy your stay.... play nice and have fun. :)

a member of a low-status group who is overly subservient to or cooperative with authority

That very well may have been what you meant, but that is not the way any African American male would have taken it. He would have taken it as a racial epithet.

Instead of blaming Mark, read what you write. Also your posts on the Open Forum are obviously read!

So, what I write elsewhere is responsible for a banning at PCGS?? Then why did Willis delete what I wrote over there? Something to hide I do believe.

Instead of blaming Mark, read what you write. Also your posts on the Open Forum are obviously read!

So, what I write elsewhere is responsible for a banning at PCGS?? Then why did Willis delete what I wrote over there? Something to hide I do believe.

Dang Ken, I'm sorry to see that you got banned. This is like the days when the Open Forum was shutdown and so many users got banned.

Which is what he got.

I find it mildly repulsive that after he got removed as a member as he requested that they continue to leave the thread open for one of those "virtual beat down fests". doh!

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=756437

That very well may have been what you meant, but that is not the way any African American male would have taken it. He would have taken it as a racial epithet.

I apologize again if it was taken that way. I will use better discretion going forward.

Which is what he got.

I find it mildly repulsive that after he got removed as a member as he requested that they continue to leave the thread open for one of those "virtual beat down fests". doh!

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=756437

I haven’t looked. I honestly thought that thread, and my profile, would be deleted within an hour of me posting it. I didn’t think it would be a big stink. It wasn’t meant to be. I just no longer wanted to be associated with PCGS and I couldn’t delete my profile myself.

What you write over at the Open Forum has been vulgar and disgusting. You really should apologize.

What I write over there is allowed because they don't have Draconian rules like PCGS does. Apologise for speaking my mind? Right!!

With all due respect for those of you who have come from ATS to find a "safe haven" where you can speak your mind without fear of retribution (within the limits of our guidelines, that is!) it would be very much appreciated if discussions such as this are relegated to the "Water Cooler". It has absolutely nothing to do with numismatics.

Thank you!

Chris Machuga

Cape Coral, FL

What you write over at the Open Forum has been vulgar and disgusting. You really should apologize.

What I write over there is allowed because they don't have Draconian rules like PCGS does. Apologise for speaking my mind? Right!!

Does anyone have a link to this open forum?

Still think when things are going good people/companys don't whine.

Got this to day Can't be good for people in that line of work

John,

Thank you for your interest in these products from APMEX. We are no longer regularly stocking numismatic items. The only numismatic items that we will regularly stock are Dollars and Pre-1933 Gold. We stopped carrying these products December 31, 2009. If you have any further questions regarding this matter please call or e-mail me directly. Thank you for your continued business with APMEX!

Respectfully,

Ted Ancher

Professional Numismatist

Still think when things are going good people/companys don't whine.

Got this to day Can't be good for people in that line of work

John,

Thank you for your interest in these products from APMEX. We are no longer regularly stocking numismatic items. The only numismatic items that we will regularly stock are Dollars and Pre-1933 Gold. We stopped carrying these products December 31, 2009. If you have any further questions regarding this matter please call or e-mail me directly. Thank you for your continued business with APMEX!

Respectfully,

Ted Ancher

Professional Numismatist

This was posted on there site months ago.

I collected for many years in the dark before I got enlightened. I joined both forums about the same time in 2006. I received a Christmas gift membership for ATs in 2005. I used the 5 free submissions but upon reflection on both the service AND the atmosphere of the forums I decided that my monies were better spent here supporting a "kinder gentler" coin forum. After 32 years in a middle school classroom I no longer welcomed or appreciated the drama and personal attacks that were prevalent ATS. I was accosted on more than one occasion for statements made because" I had a low post total" so obviously I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and below contempt. Admittedly I am still learning about coins and my two degrees do nothing to accelerate the learning process but the attitude just sucked. I still visit and read several posters because they are above the fray and more than willing to share their insights without judgement. I truly value these threads but I am so comfortable here that I just lurk and learn there. It is a shame that a minority of posters have ruined a great learning opportunity there. I don't like the competition between the two services as expressed in the forums but understand the need to defend ones choices. Having said that, there is a way to criticize in a constructive manner w/o burning bridges and alienating others. I believe that is why this forum is a better place. It reminds me of the Old West where instead of guns the egos are checked at the door. I hope we continue to keep things civil with a humorous twist. Just my humble thoughts on the issue.

They are putting the hammer down again across the street

i hope "they" get the hammer stuck up their wazoos and then the part that is sticking out is then broken off across the street