• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with the prices on SP69 Lincoln cents?

13 posts in this topic

Maybe I'm just not versed on ulttra modern US coinage, since I don't collect them and generally ignore them, but I was scanning over eBay to maybe pick up an '09 SP69 Lincoln cent, and the BINs are starting at close to $90. What's up with that? I was expecting something like $20, since they're just from mint sets.

Is this just because they're somewhat recent? Can I expect prices to plummet in a month or two?

The prices has been coming down a set of 4 was selling for over $500 a month ago.

They will most likely be selling for $50 a coin in a few months.

You have to realize that you need about 15 US Mint set to just find 1 MS69 Lincoln. MS68 and MS67 are the most common coins.

Here is my MS70 for your viewing pleasure!!

2005-SMSMS70.jpg

The prices has been coming down a set of 4 was selling for over $500 a month ago.

They will most likely be selling for $50 a coin in a few months.

You have to realize that you need about 15 US Mint set to just find 1 MS69 Lincoln. MS68 and MS67 are the most common coins.

Here is my MS70 for your viewing pleasure!!

2005-SMSMS70.jpg

Haven't kept up on modern Lincolns,but an MS 70 Business strike is quite a rarity,isn't it?Congrats!!!Either way.

Only when its a circulation strike. This is from a silver mint set (SMS)

This is a Special Mint Set coin, they come in the annual mint sets of all varieties. (And the silver sets are proof).

Only when its a circulation strike. This is from a silver mint set (SMS)

When did they start making silver mint sets again?

Chris

Haven't kept up on modern Lincolns,but an MS 70 Business strike is quite a rarity,isn't it?Congrats!!!Either way.

Yes there is a total of 11 graded MS70 by NGC for 2005-2008.

SMS70 is quite a modern grade. I have several in dimes in SMS 69 and it is downright hard to find a blemish on them. I am sure something exists somewhere that I cannot see.

So....I'm sure this has been brought up before, but what's going to happen to all the plain ol' circulation strikes from 2005-up, now that the mint sets are "different"....?

Or are there simply too many of them to make any future difference?

So....I'm sure this has been brought up before, but what's going to happen to all the plain ol' circulation strikes from 2005-up, now that the mint sets are "different"....?

Or are there simply too many of them to make any future difference?

If you compare the values of the post-2004 business strike vs. satin finish in the price guides, you will note that the business strikes command higher values. That is because it will be harder to find the higher-grade business strikes since they will have to come from bags and rolls. You will have one of two options - either buy the bags or rolls and search them yourself, or buy the coins already slabbed from the marketplace at a considerably higher price.

The larger dealers can afford to buy the bags or rolls in bulk, and submit them to their favorite grading service at a substantial discount to what you or I would pay to have them graded. They can specify a minimum grade for coins to be slabbed, and the rest are returned to them. The ungraded coins may be used to make "BU sets" which they can market at a lower price.

I prefer to buy bags from the Mint because it is cheaper than buying the same quantity in rolls. I've been relatively lucky finding higher grade business strikes from bags. For example, one $250 bag of 2007P Sacagawea's produced 14 - MS68. This might not seem like very many, but the bag costed $319 from the Mint, and I sold four of the MS68 for $150 each. On the other hand, a $250 bag of 2007D contained nothing that would grade better than MS66-MS67, so there was no point in submitting what would be a $20 coin for grading.

Chris