• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you being thrifty, or just plain cheap like me?

18 posts in this topic

Yep, that's right! I've started to make it an annual thing of taking at least one submission with me to FUN so I can save the shipping/insurance from Cape Coral to Sarasota. (Now, that's cheap!) For me, it's fortunate that my membership renewal is in November which gives me enough time to mull over what I want to submit for my freebies, but not too long that I forget about my choices. These are the ones I've selected.

Freebies on EarlyBird:

1878 8TF S$ MS64

1880-S S$ MS64+

1882-CC S$ MS64+

1882-CC S$ MS64+

1900-O S$ MS64

EarlyBird:

1878 8TF S$ MS63+

1878-CC S$ MS61

1882 S$ MS63+

1882-CC S$ MS62

1885 S$ MS63+

1885 S$ MS63

Modern: All Sac's will grade MS68

2000-P Sac$

2000-P Sac$

2001-P Sac$

2002-P Sac$

2002-D Sac$

2003-P Sac$

2004-P Sac$

2004-D Sac$

2004-D Sac$

Is anyone else planning on saving a little postage?

Chris :wishluck::taptaptap::wishluck::taptaptap::wishluck::taptaptap::wishluck:

NOTE: I deleted the 1903 and replaced it with an 1878-CC.

I have nothing to submit coin wise.....I wonder if NGC would let me submit my comic books to them to hand off to CGC hm

I don't see why not! I can't recall, but isn't their sign at FUN, Certified Collectibles Group?

Chris

I have nothing to submit coin wise.....I wonder if NGC would let me submit my comic books to them to hand off to CGC hm

I don't see why not! I can't recall, but isn't their sign at FUN, Certified Collectibles Group?

Chris

I don't recall either but I can't imagine it would be a proble...I guess I should call and ask as my certificate for 3 free comic book gradings expires in February :devil:

Chris

I don't recall either but I can't imagine it would be a proble...I guess I should call and ask as my certificate for 3 free comic book gradings expires in February :devil:

For a noted troublemaker.... er, I mean, customer like you, they might be willing.

Chris

For a noted troublemaker.... er, I mean, customer like you, they might be willing.

Watch yourself, Jason! Shane is my buddy!

Let me tell you about an art teacher I had in my senior year of high school. Her name was Miss Stephan. Yes, they didn't even know about or insist on "Ms" in those days. Anyway, she was fresh out of college and only 5-7 years older than most of us in the class. She was attractive, but she was very straight-laced, prim and proper. She went so far as gluing the pages together in our art books if the painting represented any nudity or debauchery..........even those of the Renaissance masters.

So, my friend, you wouldn't want to see that happen to the "gold" pages of the catalogs, would you? :hi:

Besides, I'm one of the rare few who can get away with giving Shane a hard time. If you don't believe me, ask him about the shirt that I had "custom-tailored" for him. He was afraid to even wear it around Ron Sirna's table at FUN one year. :roflmao:

Chris

"Thrifty" would be not wasting money on paying someone to "grade" ordinary coins. Authentication is a different matter.

If you have seen my face you know I have been picked on enough....I am very sensitive :slapfight:

I still have the shirt Chris....I might need to wear it if it's cool enough during FUN...lol:banana:

Jason's good people so if he wants to label me a trouble maker....(like I haven't heard that before) :shy: well then I guess that's just fine by me :acclaim:

"Thrifty" would be not wasting money on paying someone to "grade" ordinary coins. Authentication is a different matter.

Morgans? Ordinary? hm

Sacs? I've had a lot of success getting high grades from business strikes in bags and rolls. Maybe one day, I'll even start a registry set for them. That is, if I don't give all of them away as prizes for contests. lol

Chris

...just a personal opinion on the whole "grading" and "registered set" fads so many accept. The important part is to enjoy the hobby of coin collecting in whatever aspects feel most comfortable.

Ok Chris, how about giving us your guesses on the grade for your submissions. That should keep things verrrrrrry interrrrresting as Arte Johnson used to say :insane: Perhaps you can use your success as an "in" to NGC for a grading position ;)

Ok Chris, how about giving us your guesses on the grade for your submissions. That should keep things verrrrrrry interrrrresting as Arte Johnson used to say :insane: Perhaps you can use your success as an "in" to NGC for a grading position ;)

Okay, Ron, you've got me committed. I've edited my original post to include the grades. I didn't go into any detail, but if you'd like to know my reasoning, I'll be happy to oblige you.

Chris

If you don't believe me, ask him about the shirt that I had "custom-tailored" for him. He was afraid to even wear it around Ron Sirna's table at FUN one year. :roflmao:

Chris

Was that the "sperm shirt"? Or am I thinking of a different, but still rather odd shirt that Shane wore to a past FUN show? I think I have a picture here somewhere of him wearing it...

If you don't believe me, ask him about the shirt that I had "custom-tailored" for him. He was afraid to even wear it around Ron Sirna's table at FUN one year. :roflmao:

Chris

Was that the "sperm shirt"? Or am I thinking of a different, but still rather odd shirt that Shane wore to a past FUN show? I think I have a picture here somewhere of him wearing it...

Tubby, you're thinking of the paisley one I dubbed the "coinheads" shirt. No, I'm talking about the one I had embroidered with "TCCS" and "I'm where it's AT!"

Chris