• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TCCS Back online................

16 posts in this topic

I have notified the admin that several members and non members logging on have encountered malware/trojan messages from their anti-virus software so be careful for now. I have been on the site several times and everything seems to be fine with my PC....

I have notified the admin that several members and non members logging on have encountered malware/trojan messages from their anti-virus software so be careful for now. I have been on the site several times and everything seems to be fine with my PC....

Run an anti-virus scan on your system. There is a keylogger Trojan horse coming from the site that seems to have hijacked the system. I would NOT visit the site until they vix their problems!

Scott :hi:

I did a virus scan on my PC and everything was fine......but I just logged in from work and all the bells and whistles went off on the anti-virus program. I did post 2 notes to the admin over their about the virus so I will let everyone know when it is safe to return. As others have stated I would stay away for now......too much risk.

I was over there when you first mentioned that it was up and running, but I didn't stay long. As soon as Scott (I think?) mentioned it, I ran a v-scan and all was clean. Yes, be sure to let us know when they've cleaned it up.

Thanks,

Chris

I had a few moments while waiting for someone to return my call, so I decided to analyze the problem with tonedcoins.org. The landing page (index.htm and index.html) was hacked to include a very cute bit of Javascript code at the bottom of the page. The code is designed to prevent ordinary scanning from detecting what it is doing Thankfully, it is a short piece of code that I was able to step through without going to site.

For those who may understand: it is basically a substitution cypher whose difficulty is only the tedium necessary to figure it out!

The code is designed to go to a Russian website that is notorious for planting malware. However, the -script has a bug that will keep loading the main page. Even if you do bypass whatever protections you have you will never go to the site because it will continue to load the tonedcoins.org/index.html over and over again. It will be a continuous loop that is more annoying than damaging.

The code on the forums/index.html seems to be working properly. So if you go to the forums main page, you are going to get infected.

I found a file, index.php that appears also to be infected, but my PHP skills are not as good as my Javascript skills and I am not certain the -script will work in the context of the PHP code.

Basically, this site is hacked or pwned (owned in hacker speak). I would seriously stay away until the site administrator fixes the problem. I will send a note to Ron Sirna later... I have work to finish!

Scott :hi:

I just logged into the TCCS and I am no longer getting any virus/malware messages from my anti-virus software.....could someone else who was getting the errors please log in as well just so I can verify it's safe for everyone else now???

Thanks

I just logged into the TCCS and I am no longer getting any virus/malware messages from my anti-virus software.....could someone else who was getting the errors please log in as well just so I can verify it's safe for everyone else now???

Thanks

I visited yesterday evening, and I still got the message. If something has been cleared up since then, I don't know.

Ok several folks across the street are saying they are still seeing a virus so please stay away for now. I am not sure why my scans aren't picking anything up but I don't want folks risking it. Thanks

Shane, it's too bad you've been saddled with the responsibility of keeping track of this website with updates and such, especially right around your birthday.

It's a tad saddening the owner(s) who I'm sure read these forums and surely do PCGS haven't appeared with any news and information that would really benefit themselves- and us, in the long run.

Shane, it's too bad you've been saddled with the responsibility of keeping track of this website with updates and such, especially right around your birthday.

It's a tad saddening the owner(s) who I'm sure read these forums and surely do PCGS haven't appeared with any news and information that would really benefit themselves- and us, in the long run.

It would be nice.....if I see Ron Sirna at FUN I am going to ask to be made a mod over there as I do feel a responsibility to make sure folks have a good experience over there even if I shouldn't. The fact that new members can't register over there most of the time is a major concern for me and since most members here and ATS contact me when they can't register I would like to have some control over the situation.

That's an excellent idea! I can't see how he would refuse your offer. For what's it is worth, if a reader cannot register he then is also excluded from viewing many of the photos posted there- I would think the main reason why someone would join. Not being able to look at the photos would quickly discourage that potential member from and then couple the insult of not being able to register? Strange.

The bit of mod efforts I've seen lately there were heavy handed (killing one dealer's account multiple times before he was allowed to defend himself during an AT outbreak of topics was unfair and totally unjust, IMHO).

You would be able to fix all of that as a moderator.