• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for information on vintage albums (Pictures added)

12 posts in this topic

I picked up a couple of sets of albums from a local dealer that I think are pretty neat.

They are made by the Lee Charles Co. The pages are plastic with holes for the coins and then a hard plastic slip cover that goes over the entire page. The pages are held in with piano hinges. They seem to be made in the early '60s, which is kind of neat because they pre dated some of the holes including 65-67 where they have spots for D minted coins. lol

Are there any pros/cons to useing these? Two of the ones I bought are for Lincoln cents and it would seem that these plastic pages would help considerably in keeping the red cents red.

I don't know anything about them, but you should make sure that the plastic does not contain PVC before you use them. Many products were made 40-50 years ago without concern for archival quality. Maybe David Lange can tell you something about them.

Chris

I have some of these albums as well, and have even put a collection into them in the past (Washington quarters). They are non-PVC, but since they are plastic, it wouldn't surprise me if they could haze your coins. But they do provide an attractive way to display a collection.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I have the Charles brand album for Lincoln Cents. It's a work of art.

The plastic seems to be acrylic, similar to what's used by Capital Plastics. My estimation is that it's relatively safe for coin storage.

I collect all coin albums, so anyone who wants to part with a Charles album is invited to PM me.

Here are the two sets I got. Vol 1 and 2 of Lincoln cents and Vol 1 and 2 of Washington Quarters.

David is right. I meant to mention in my first post that they are quite a bit like Capitol holders. These albums are very nice and I would imagine that they were high dollar in their time. I added some coins to them, I noticed that the cent book has holes that the coins fit perfectly in. In the quarter book the holes are slightly on the smallish side making it hard to insert quarters into it.

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

Different series feature different colored album covers, as I recall. As in your examples, Lincoln cents had red coverse, Washington quarter albums were light tan. However, I don't know if the colors were denomination-dependent, or type-dependent.