• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you spell S-T-O-R-A-G-E ?

10 posts in this topic

A couple of us got sidetracked in the "New Year's Resolutions" thread discussing different methods of storing our coins and medals. As I stated there, I've been using the NGC shipping boxes to store my (unslabbed) medal collections. They're great because a single-wide box can house 40-60 medals in flips by doubling- or tripling-up in each slot. The double-wide boxes can hold 100+.

I'd like to hear from some of you about how you solved your storage problems. Nothing is too dumb, and you can be just as "thrift-minded" (a polite way of being a cheapskate) as me.

I have a dozen or more of the NGC & PCGS plastic slab boxes, but what I hate most about them is that the contents rattle inside the boxes. Another problem with them is that the old ANACS and PCGS "rattlers" are too small and end up flopping around inside. I've been able to partially rectify this by using the foam inserts that Eagle sells for their slab pages. I put the insert into the slot of the slab box, and Voila! the ANACS slabs fit! Unfortunately, it doesn't work for the PCGS "rattlers" because they are slightly wider than the ANACS slabs.

I have a suggestion for NGC that could "kill two birds with one stone":

Instead of making the NGC storage box with the slots incorporated into the body and designed solely for NGC slabs, why not make a box with an unslotted interior and a one-piece, semi-rigid and slotted foam insert? The slots of the semi-rigid foam insert would have enough "give" so that wider or thicker slabs could be eased into each compartment, and the flanges that form each individual compartment would be slightly longer so smaller slabs wouldn't "flop around" inside.

I realize that NGC is in the business to make money by providing products for their services, but let's face it, I doubt that there is a single member of the Collectors' Society who doesn't own, or has owned, slabs from PCGS and ANACS. The newly-designed box could be the one size fits all that would encourage even staunch collectors of the "competition" to seek them out, and No more rattles!

If NGC considers this idea feasible, while you're working on the design, I'd like to suggest that you also make a double-wide storage box. Short of this, how about selling me some of your double-wide shipping boxes?

Chris

I have a suggestion for NGC that could "kill two birds with one stone":

Instead of making the NGC storage box with the slots incorporated into the body and designed solely for NGC slabs, why not make a box with an unslotted interior and a one-piece, semi-rigid and slotted foam insert? The slots of the semi-rigid foam insert would have enough "give" so that wider or thicker slabs could be eased into each compartment, and the flanges that form each individual compartment would be slightly longer so smaller slabs wouldn't "flop around" inside.

I would love that idea!!

I use little baggies to protect the slab and the slabs don't rattle in the holder.

Whitman Boxes

Scroll down to "Grading Service Boxes" and look at the Whitmans. I have some, and they have a stepped design at will hold all of the different slabs nicely.

MM

True they will fit NGC, PCGS, and ANACS but they will not hold

the new NGC slabs. I had to use a pry bar to get the slab out.

Those are for business cards, and I would prefer the double-wides with the dividers inside. I took a look at their other storage/shipping boxes, and they don't have what I want. Thanks, anyway!

Chris

Funny, I've found that, while loose, rattlers do okay in NGC boxes. All the really need to do is make the dividers extend slightly farther into the interior of the box.

My storage system consists of NGC boxes for all my slab needs, a few of those cardboard 2x2 boxes for misc. cheapies, dansco albums with slip covers and a few whitman albums (also for cheapies). Oh, and directfit airtites (in boxes, mounted on cards) for unslabbed, nice coins.

Whitman Boxes

Scroll down to "Grading Service Boxes" and look at the Whitmans. I have some, and they have a stepped design that will hold all of the different slabs nicely.

MM

Whitman boxes have a problem with the new NGC holders being too thick and the older holders being too wide for the end two slots in the box. Thankfully, I won two NGC boxes in Numismaquest and am now using them instead of the Whitman boxes.

Scott :hi:

I use NGC storage boxes, all of which I've won at one time or another from Numismaquest. I have about half a dozen PCGS boxes, but I don't use them since NGC slabs don't fit with the lid closed.