• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Definition of 1st strike

22 posts in this topic

Since all 2009 Platinum proofs sold out within 1 week, by definition it seems to me they are ALL first strikes. TPG holders with that definition should not add any value. Comments?

lol

First Strike: noun - a scam perpetrated by third party grading services

I don't think the scam was perpetrated by the grading services. They were just bowing to the demands of certain sellers, like Coin Vault, who wanted to pull a fast one on the uneducated public.

Chris

yes

look at any pre 1915 brilliant proof coin and if it is strongly, deeply mirrored and with a really strong cameo to deep cameo i would consider this a first strike

and of course for example with proof gold coins of the brilliant era where most all mintages are under 200 then all are first strikes

Since all 2009 Platinum proofs sold out within 1 week, by definition it seems to me they are ALL first strikes. TPG holders with that definition should not add any value. Comments?

all plastic with multiple definations on the holder add mucho value

first strike

fbl

fullhead

split bands

cameo

deep cameo

superbird

star

dmpl

dpl

pl

sp

pop top

older holder

fat boy

green tag

rattler

just ask 99% of the collectors out there that have slabbed coins

HOLDERS WITH MORE WORDS ON THEM AND THE HIGHER THE GRADE ABOVE 68 THE BETTER

Gee Michael, where's your holiday spirit!! :baiting:

Scott :hi:

Yes according to the definition of "first strike" they all should be first strikes. The whole "first Strike" thing is a bunch of bull. The mint strikes the coins before they issue them and mixes up the first ones off the dies with all the rest. In the old days cameo Proof coins were either first strikes or first strikes AFTER the dies had been repolished. Now all modern Proof coin are cameo so it really doesn't matter if it's the first coin struck or number 100,000.

"First Strike" is for foolish people who believe in gimmicks.

all plastic with multiple definations on the holder add mucho value

first strike

fbl

fullhead

split bands

cameo

deep cameo

superbird

star

dmpl

dpl

pl

sp

pop top

older holder

fat boy

green tag

rattler

just ask 99% of the collectors out there that have slabbed coins

Don't forget "Early Release" :screwy:

What a joke!!

yes thanks nasf i was racking my brain as i could not remember waht the other term was besides first strike

yes it is early release thanks!!

well i guess i am an old fashioned kind of guy with federal, colonial coinage and other tokens/medals of the pre 1900 era the services are grading and i am wondering when the new hundred point grading system will take hmaffect/effect hm

also i wonder when the new term on the holder for proof/ms 70 coins will either be solid or PQ for the 70 grade lol as many people are telling me now that all 70 graded coins are not the same as some are all there and some are not and a few are killer pq for the grade lol which i find extremely funny and yet disconcerting as i bet many 70 coins if broken out of their respective holders and resubmitted would never get the 70 grade again and personally i feel that 69 should be the highest grade awarded

and YES!! i am sure there are also solid and extremely pq for the grade 69 graded coins to boot lol

but it aint a sandbox i want to play in

“First Strike”

[imbecile noun] A marketing scam based on arbitrary redefinition of common language to imply something which it is not.

A con; a pig in a poke.

A meaningless designation designed to entrap the ignorant and extract money from them.

simple answer

Re: Definition of 1st strike

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

yes thanks nasf i was racking my brain as i could not remember waht the other term was besides first strike

yes it is early release thanks!!

well i guess i am an old fashioned kind of guy with federal, colonial coinage and other tokens/medals of the pre 1900 era the services are grading and i am wondering when the new hundred point grading system will take hmaffect/effect hm

also i wonder when the new term on the holder for proof/ms 70 coins will either be solid or PQ for the 70 grade lol as many people are telling me now that all 70 graded coins are not the same as some are all there and some are not and a few are killer pq for the grade lol which i find extremely funny and yet disconcerting as i bet many 70 coins if broken out of their respective holders and resubmitted would never get the 70 grade again and personally i feel that 69 should be the highest grade awarded

and YES!! i am sure there are also solid and extremely pq for the grade 69 graded coins to boot lol

but it aint a sandbox i want to play in

You are very welcome...glad I can help with my "2 cents"

The ceremonial First Strikes , coins struck during a ceremony prior to the striking of regular mintage , have even more words on their holders . ; )

i will start a slabbing service send me your coins i will put them in a sonically sealed holder and i will put whatever YOU want on the holder (within reason)

cant put ms 67 on a coin tag if the coin you send to me that is only ag-3 but for a larger fee this would be okie

up to four lines and up to 100 letters/numbers

all for 35 dollars per coin

Sold out in 1 week and shipped can be two different things.

lol

First Strike: noun - a scam perpetrated by third party grading services

Folks like their First Strike Slabs:

TT1993FSSales.jpg

TT1999FSSales.jpg

I, like my First Strike Slabs.

I also like my Millenium Eagle along with a lot of other folks:

TTMillenniumSales.jpg

You wanna diss that one too since its exactly the same as any other 2000 Silver Eagle except with a different slab label?