• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Secret Life!!

31 posts in this topic

I talk on the fourm all the time but I realized that outside of fourm, I never talk

about coins. My mother didn't even know how much a coin freak I was till my girl

was talking to her about my coin collecting. My grandpa got me hooked on coin

collecting and when he died 8 years ago, my mom thought I had given up coin

collecting.

I was sitting in traffic today trying to think of why I never talk about coins outside of the fourm. ???

Do you talk about coins with your friends or family?

Just curious if I was the only one.

Yes, everyone (family) knows I collect coins. Most of my friends do not.

I think it's a definite advantage - I had a distant relative who had a coin collection a few months ago, and he contacted me when he wanted to sell it. I liquidated the entire collection for him, and I had a blast, and he was happy with the $4,000 he had just sitting in his closet all these years.

I talk about coins all the time. Friends always ask my opinion and when I show off some purchases they sometimes like them so much that they purchase one or more or start collecting themselves!

Only a few close friends and a couple members of my family. I don't talk about it and especially to the ladies :whee: MJ

I talk about coins all the time. Friends always ask my opinion and when I show off some purchases they sometimes like them so much that they purchase one or more or start collecting themselves!

I love showing my newps to my friends. I have a few close friends that are coin collectors and even my non collector friends enjoy checking out the old coins.

Coin collecting is a rather unique hobby. It seems that you want to tell everyone you have them, but in today's society, you are scared to tell anyone but close friends, lest you invite unscrupulous folks to come a huntin' em.

Juilan's recent ordeal is a good example of what I am talking about.

MM

I showed my wife a wonderfully toned Morgan I have and she said "what's with the rust on the coin" Geez :o

A friend at work took that slab and put it down her shirt, like a brothel girl getting some sort of tip! Geez :o

A face book friend commented, "What a hundred dollars for a nickel"! , "That makes sense"! Geez :o

So I cautiousily tread around the coinage talk now....geez

Many of my friends and acquaintances know that I collect coins, but I always make it a point to tell them that all of my "good stuff" is stored off-premises in a vault. It helps to get the message around because it can provide me opportunities to add to my collection.

People are always asking me what this or that is worth. A few weeks ago, one of the guys at the poolroom showed me a 2004 SAE that he got in change at the grocery store and asked what it would be worth. I told him that melt was about $17.50, but he shouldn't expect to get that from a dealer. He wanted to keep it, anyway, as a pocket piece.

My landlord noticed my collection of coin books, and asked if I would be interested in a couple of 1887CC dollars that he has. I told him that they didn't make any CC's in 1887, and perhaps he was thinking of 1878CC. Apparently, they are in the GSA "soft-packs". He's going to bring them the next time he's here, and I'll explain to him what they should grade, the difference between retail, wholesale and what a dealer would probably pay for them. If I like them, I may just buy them.

Chris

My family knows I collect as so does my step-dad, my nephew, and my wife's uncle collect coins also. No one at work knows tho'. Guess cause I'm not around them much. I drive most the time.

Pretty much everyone I know knows that I collect coins, I make no secret of it. Most everyone knows what I collect, and has seen many pictures of it. Most everyone I know (with the exception of y'all) thinks I'm crazy and tells me so.

Many of my friends and acquaintances know that I collect coins, but I always make it a point to tell them that all of my "good stuff" is stored off-premises in a vault. It helps to get the message around because it can provide me opportunities to add to my collection.

People are always asking me what this or that is worth.

I agree. I know all of the employees at the gas station across the street from the coffee shop I hang out as well. Both the coffee shop and the gas station are very good places to find coins and currency.

I have got some really good finds at both and the employees like me because I offer to pay them fair market value for whatever they find me. Most of the time they just let me trade straight up for face value though.

My family knows I collect coins but I don't think they have a clue as to what I have.

Coins is just something that they are not really interested in so they could just care less.

A few of my friends also knows but again not really interested in them. I do have one friend who's has a small collection mostly what you might find in a junk box. He has a little brother who got hooked on coins after seeing his brothers collection and a few of mine. Now it seems like anytime I go to the yearly coin show or a coin shop the little brother is with me.

I don't tell them to what extent, but my family and only my closest friends know I collect coins. The fewer that know, the better I sleep.

In high school I spent mega bucks on stereo equipment. One night, someone broke into my family's home and stole all of my equipment I had stored in our basement. It was obviously someone I knew, but the police never caught the thieves.

If someone did that today, I would blame myself for telling too many people. Then go Rambo!!

rambo_l.jpg

"Give me back my coins"

Yes I talk about them to others, but I try to keep it toned down because I can be somewhat fanatical about it and I know that most people aren't that interested.

So they know I collect and that I'm serious about it (but probably not just how serious) and I always make it clear that they are stored in the SDB. I also don't give out my real address, just my mail drop (box on a vacant lot) I'm not listed in the phone book and have no property or utilities list under my real name. (I have half a dozen names and 13 addresses I can use plus a couple different SS#. Whenever possible when filling out forms, lie, it muddies the waters.)

Yes I talk about them to others, but I try to keep it toned down because I can be somewhat fanatical about it and I know that most people aren't that interested.

So they know I collect and that I'm serious about it (but probably not just how serious) and I always make it clear that they are stored in the SDB. I also don't give out my real address, just my mail drop (box on a vacant lot) I'm not listed in the phone book and have no property or utilities list under my real name. (I have half a dozen names and 13 addresses I can use plus a couple different SS#. Whenever possible when filling out forms, lie, it muddies the waters.)

.........and if that isn't being fanatical, I don't know what more he could do to enhance that image.

Chris

My family knows but are not interested. My wife once asked me about a circulated Peace dollar and what it may be worth. The few times in the past that it has come up people want to know what it is worth. A few that asked always ask how that dollar an be worth more etc.People are only interested in how much soemthing is worth and why it would be worth more than face value and then arent interested.

Oh, I also definitely make it a point to mention how much my brother (roommate) is into guns. He is a life member of the NRA, builds his own guns, loads his own bullets, can put 5 bullets through the same hole at a 100 yards, has loaded guns strategically placed around the house in case of a prolonged shootout, and is definitely not one to mess with.

I keep my coin talk to family and very close friends. Michele shows interest and actually listens to me, when I show her a new coin especially a Bust Half she knows what it is. What I find funny is the reaction I get when I tell a friend not familiar with coins that I spent $ 1000 on a "penny" or $ 4000 on a "silver dollar". I have to explain to then that coins are investments just like stocks , or other collectibles. You will enjoy owning them, when you decide to sell hopefully you wont lose money.

I could never understand how anyone would not be interested in classic coins until I had a good friend put it to me like this: Do I like stamp collecting?

"Well, no. It's boring."

She gave me a wink and stated, "Well, there you have it."

I have not talked about coins since unless someone really presses me and is sincere.

I've got to respect that.

Well, I gave two 1972 circulated IKES to my Son-in-Laws children today, they are 3 and 5 and those coins are a fistful for them. They looked at them like they belonged to some kind of toy set and no idea they were real money.

Most close people know I collect or have an interest in coins, but rarely is it ever discussed, its just not a hot topic.

You know, whenever someone is beaming with pride telling me about their wine collection or their ceramic thimble collection or their miniature spoon collection, I listen attentively and throw in the requisite oohs & aahs..................

so, when I'm talking about my coin collection,

Sit down and shut up!

:whee:C :whee:H :whee:R :whee:I :whee:S :whee:

You know, whenever someone is beaming with pride telling me about their wine collection or their ceramic thimble collection or their miniature spoon collection, I listen attentively and throw in the requisite oohs & aahs..................

so, when I'm talking about my coin collection,

Sit down and shut up!

:whee:C :whee:H :whee:R :whee:I :whee:S :whee:

That's right! This guy once showed me his button collection which I thought would be cool civil war, WWII stuff. Nope, just large cans of regular buttons he'd removed from disregarded polo shirts from Goodwill center where he worked? Ouch!

Most of my family knows I collect coins. Some of them even help. Of course my wife knows and has purchased some nice coins for me!

Some of the people I work with may know. Most of them don't care. When I feel like bugging someone about coins at work, I know where to find Roger Burdette!

I would talk about coins more if anyone was interested in listening.

Scott :hi: