• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins in Jewelry

11 posts in this topic

I have recently inherited some coins. I did look at and take to heart the information in the WYNK Post about inherited coin collections.

The actions I've taken:

1) I didn't clean or rub any coins...I DID store all of them in at least a ziploc bag until I got my supplies of 2x2.

2) I purchased a Red Book and realized I don't have anything spectacular...but I do have coins that have been in my family for 3-4 generations and I've taken means to make them last for at least another 2-3 generations.

3) I've tried on quite a few occasions to seek out local coin shops and talk to people who can help me. But haven't had the best of luck. I'm hoping you can provide some advise/knowledge.

Quite a few of the coins are in jewelry. As far as I can tell only 2 are soldered into the holder.

My first few questions:

For the coins that have been made into jewelry...is it worth it to take the coins out of the jewelry holders?

Stop wearing the jewelry (I have occasionally: for now I answer this yes)?

I was recently told of coins that were polished to be made into jewlery pieces...any knowledge?

I just scanned this with the my home scanner, no fancy cameras...

jewleryexample.jpg

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

In my opinion, I'd leave the coins in the jewelry and enjoy them -- especially if they are common pieces. I gave my mom a dollar coin necklace a few years ago and outside of the holder it might have been worth a little more but she enjoyed it just the same. I think it's only worth taking the time and effort to remove coins from jewelry if the coins themselves are particularly rare.

It's also a great time to learn more about the coins and their history. It might spark an interest in finding out more. Coins are a great hobby full of artistry, history, and variety. In any case, enjoy them and remember the people who passed them onto you.

Hi, Erika!

Welcome to the neighborhood.

First of all, if you are considering removing the coins from the jewelry, I'd advise againast trying to do it yourself if the coins are, as you say, soldered into the retainer. You may do more damage to the coins in doing so. Even if, in fact, the retainer is soldered in place just to hold the coin and the solder is not contacting any surface of the coin, itself, you must still use extreme care to avoid damaging the coin. Whether, or not, the coin has been polished or cleaned in its previous life is hard for me to say from your scan.

I'm sure that others who are more knowledgeable will "chime in" but you should be aware that it can be rather slow, here, around this time of the year. I don't collect gold, so I can't speak to the market value of such a piece, but I sure wouldn't mind having that 1893 because that is the year my grandmother was born.

Anyway, best wishes for the holidays to you and yours.

Chris

Welcome to the forum, Erika! :hi:

It sounds as though you have done all of the right things, so far. :)

As stated previously, if your coins are not rare, you might as well enjoy them as jewelry. Whether soldered or put into a bezel, removing the coin will leave tell-tale signs that it has been a jewelry piece, and it will normally be worth only bullion value, or slightly more, to most collectors.

Generally speaking, for coin collectors, once a coin has been put into jewelry and worn, its value to a coin collector (numismatic value) has been significantly reduced.

Coins worn agains skin (like necklaces) will react to the oils, etc. on skin; coins worn on bracelets or in rings tend to get banged up; coins in jewelry sometimes get polished or rubbed, as the jewelry is polished or rubbed. Also, jewelers are frequently pretty smart about the coins they use in jewelry - they use coins that don't have much numismatic value; sometimes they even use counterfeit coins in jewelry (usually of the correct gold content, however).

So, if they're common coins and you enjoy wearing the jewelry, by all means continue to wear it.

The 1893 $5 gold piece that you posted in the bezel has been polished. As such it is nice piece for jewelry, but not a good collectors' item. I would go ahead and enjoy it in the jewelry.

Welcome aboard! :hi:

I hope that you have a fun time with the assorted coins and coin/jewelry that you have inherited. In general just leave the coins in the jewelry and wear them. After all, that is what the jewelry was designed to do... and you can think of your ancestors while you are wearing the assorted pieces.

You didn't try and clean any of the coins and you bought a copy of the Red Book. I like you already.

I have to agree with the others that unless you have a rare coin it's best to leave it alone and treat it as jewelry. If you do decide to remove any from their mounts it's best to have it done by a pro. A good jeweler will be able to remove it without butchering the coin. And you can sell the mount as scrap gold to pay for the process.

Here is a coin that was polished and used as jewelry. It's pretty rare with a mintage of only 6749 and I was happy to be able to purchase it. ANACS gave it an AU-55 Details grade and someday it will go to NGC.

pan-paccomp.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

I personally think coin jewelry is fun. I still want one of those quarter eagles in a ring someday. (Hint: Post some pix of the ones I know some of you have)

My dad had some old Morgans he left me when he passed on. One of then was a fairly nice 1921 with a hole in it. I had a rope chain I hardly ever wore, and came up with this. A local jeweler made the little hasp that connects the coin to the necklace. I do not wear it except sometimes to coin shows or club meetings, but it is a fun conversation piece.

neck21.jpg

MM

I'm not sure the coin has been polished from the scan but I would bet the bezel has left marks. It's a cool piece. I would keep it the way it is and pass it on.