• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can you tell me about these chopmarks?

8 posts in this topic

A very neat specimen of a 10 centavos from the state of Chihuahua, Mexico. (thumbs u

I think these would be considered counterstamps, not chopmarks.

A 25 looks the same in Mexico as it does in the U.S. What makes you think the counterstamp is from the U.S.?

So far what I have found is that these marks likely came from a Hacienda, sometimes located in the USA and sometimes in Mexico. The fact it is on both sides is interesting.

Well, there was this little uprising in Mexico in 1914, one of the revolt leaders was none other than Francisco "Pancho" Villa, it would be interesting if this could be some how tied to this point in history.

Well, there was this little uprising in Mexico in 1914, one of the revolt leaders was none other than Francisco "Pancho" Villa, it would be interesting if this could be some how tied to this point in history.

It already is due to the fact that it is from the state of Chihuahua, which is one of the Northern States, where Pancho Villa and Zapata came from. If would be super cool if the stamp could be tied in directly to his army of men.

link

no pictures, but this article does mention the provisional counter stamps and a nice description of the 50 Centavo (Plate III). I did not read all of this...it could very well provide some very good leads.