• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Nice 3 Kreuzer From Greg

8 posts in this topic

Hello again,

I'm back with another coin from my collection! The last few coins I've shared were from collecting area in which I dabble, but here's one from my true passion: coins of the Holy Roman Empire:

377885-3kreuzer_2.JPG

It's a 1669 3 Kreuzer, KM79, considered Austrian by the 2nd edition Krasue catalog (may have changed for the 3rd), from the Breslau mint in Silsia. The portrait is that of Leopold I, the Hogmouth, Emperor at the time. The obverse legend proclaims his titles as Holy Roman Emperor and the King of Germany, Hungary and Bohemia and the reverse adds Archduke of Austria and Duke of Burgandy and Silsia. These coins are quite common and mine resides in an NGC MS63 holder.

Silsia was a duchy in central Europe which currently resides mostly in Poland but with just a bit in the Czech Republic. The duchy was a possession of the Kingdom of Bohemia and came into the possession of the Hapsburgs in 1526 when Emperor Charles V also became King of Bohemia. Silsia was lost to Prussia during the war of Austrian Succession in 1742 and remained German until 1945. Breslau is now known by the name Wroclaw.

Thanks to Greg for his lesser speciman of this type go for a very nice price!

-JamminJ

That is a much better likeness of The Hogmouth on that coin than you usually see. Most of the time he looks like he came 8th in an axe fight grin.gif

Must admit though - there is something about the design that appeals to me - always has. Nice coin JJ wink.gif

That is a much better likeness of The Hogmouth on that coin than you usually see. Most of the time he looks like he came 8th in an axe fight grin.gif

You can see Leopold's prognathism advance through his coinage. He reigned a long time 1657-1705 and looked quite normal towards the beginning. By the later part of the reign his lower jaw protrudes so much he may not have been able to chew his own food.

-JamminJ

If you're into 3 kreuzers, I may have something for you. cool.gif

Wow! Shiroh's been a full time coin dealer for all of 15 minutes and already he's in sell mode. blush.gif Seriously, I look forward to seeing your 3K.

-JamminJ

You can see Leopold's prognathism advance through his coinage. He reigned a long time 1657-1705 and looked quite normal towards the beginning. By the later part of the reign his lower jaw protrudes so much he may not have been able to chew his own food.

27_laughing.gif

Nice coin, really nice! I see more and more early milled and hammered coins in slabs. Is this good or not?

I see more and more early milled and hammered coins in slabs. Is this good or not?

Slabbing of these coins, or any other for that matter, has both good and not so good aspects. However, in the world coin arena slabbing seems to function somewhat better than for US coins as there's far less incentive to resubmit repeatedly to "increase the grade" or fool with it to get it in a holder. It providea authentication, a grade which should be close to an acceptable third party standard, and a snazzy holder.

For the downside of slabbing coins I include the following:

Time and expense of slabbing the coins (I miss them while they're gone).

Loss of intimacy with the coins.

Inability to see the edges either for good (lettering) or bad (flaws).

Slab companies make mistakes which can fool the uneducated or lazy.

Some also dislike the looks of the slab.

On the upside I count these:

Authentication is a great asset when dealing with the countless varieties, types and countries out there.

The slab can offer a "second opinion" on a coin if its not in hand or a trusted fellow collector is not available to view it.

The slab is safe for long term storage - every coin in a slab is not in a PVC flip.

Slabs facilitate the trading of coins sight unseen which can be valuable when collecting oddball stuff like me - something in a legit 66 holder is usually very nice.

As for myself, I won't may much more for an equal slabbed coin over a raw one, but it can help me decide I'm getting what I think I'm getting. To conclude, some like slabs and some don't but they're easy enough to crack out or resubmit if you feel that strongly about them. To each his own, I have no preference to what others do (as long as your not screwing them up for the next owners).

-JamminJ