• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tangential reading

8 posts in this topic

In researching the US twenty-cent piece I've done some tangential reading that has taken me into mining and politics of the period. I just finished reading Ralston's Ring; California Plunders The Comstock Lode by George D. Lyman.

I'm finding that some fo the books I won't cite even once in my notes contain a wealth of information that gives me a better understanding of the period in which the double dime was conceived, created, and used. On one hand it feels like I'm wasting my time, but on the other hand I'm gaining a better appreciation for the 1870s.

What tangential reading has benefited you, and how?

What tangential reading has benefited you, and how?

Crime of 1873:The Comstock Connection by Robert R. Van Ryzin

There was a lot going on, politically, in those days. I wonder how many of today's PAC's would be around if they had to travel by wind-powered ships, stagecoaches, and where available, trains?

Chris

"The Lost Gold of the Republic" and "Treasure in the Cellar" both have little about the actual coins found, but provide interesting stories of treasure found - and provide backstory and history about the eras involved.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

"The Money Question During Reconstruction" by Walter T. K. Nugent, and "History of Coinage and Currency in the United States" by A. Barton Hepburn. These are both excellent works that help to explain the rise and fall of mintages in an economic/financial context.

Fractional Money by Neil Carothers

That's one of my favorites.

I'll see if I can find a copy of The Money Question during Reconstruction. I bought a copy of The Greenback Era when reading up on the time leading up to specie resumption and found it a fascinating read.

"The Money Question During Reconstruction" by Walter T. K. Nugent, and "History of Coinage and Currency in the United States" by A. Barton Hepburn. These are both excellent works that help to explain the rise and fall of mintages in an economic/financial context.

I received and read my copy of The Money Question During Reconstruction. The final chaper ("Bibliographic Review") was helpful in critiquing the sources and secondary literature Nugent read. I found out we read many of the same books. I found it to cover much of the same ground as did Unger's The Greenback Era but in a much more succinct way. Great read! (thumbs u