• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage......Make offer to Owner!!

15 posts in this topic

Has anyone had any luck using the "Make offer to Owner" on heritage.

Make Offer:

You now have the opportunity to acquire very rare items that may not be auctioned again for some time by making an anonymous offer that will make the owner sell.

I made an offer on 3 different Roosevelt Dimes that sold this year and I haven't had any luck.

I offered 25% more than the seller paid.

For anyone that doesn't know, when you use this option you have to offer a minimum of 20% higher than what the owner paid.

So if the seller pays $600 for a coin you have to offer a minimum of $720

Recently there was a similar thread ATS that members expressed the problems they encountered with this new option at Heritage. Some experienced the same results as you when making offers. I haven't tried it myself.

As an owner, I think I withdrew all my coins from this program since I wasn't clear on the rules, and since I have a lot of my Saints that I bought for well under current melt. There was some fine print I remember reading that you had to sell, and there is not way I am selling an MS-63 Saint at even a 100% premium of my purchase price, when I may have only paid $400 for it to begin with!

As an owner, I think I withdrew all my coins from this program since I wasn't clear on the rules, and since I have a lot of my Saints that I bought for well under current melt. There was some fine print I remember reading that you had to sell, and there is not way I am selling an MS-63 Saint at even a 100% premium of my purchase price, when I may have only paid $400 for it to begin with!
Doesn't the seller have the ability to include a minimum asking price that he is satisfied with? And even if not, if you receive an offer, you aren't obligated to accept it and should be able to counter at whatever price you want.

Mark,

Maybe I read it incorrectly, but one a handful of my coins were eligible, and it made it sound like if you set a price you were obligated to accept it. I think I set a price on a couple that I had, but with gold prices rising, I wouldn't have been pleased to sell at the older prices. If that is not the way it works, then Heritage needs to do a better job in communicating it, after all, it's not like I am a business novice, confused be legal language...

Mark,

Maybe I read it incorrectly, but one a handful of my coins were eligible, and it made it sound like if you set a price you were obligated to accept it. I think I set a price on a couple that I had, but with gold prices rising, I wouldn't have been pleased to sell at the older prices. If that is not the way it works, then Heritage needs to do a better job in communicating it, after all, it's not like I am a business novice, confused be legal language...

I agree that it can and should be done better and expect that they will do that, with time.

When I saw it, I was going to ignore it. Then I started thinking how much would it take to part with keeper coins. I ended up with some high prices and then Heritages % on top. I don`t think anyone would buy one of my coins because of the price. If they do, I have to find another keeper coin!

Doesn't the seller have the ability to include a minimum asking price that he is satisfied with? And even if not, if you receive an offer, you aren't obligated to accept it and should be able to counter at whatever price you want.

Interesting, eBay has this option. You can set a minimum allowed offer. If the offer does not meet that minimum, the system automatically rejects the offer.

Once the offer is sent to me, I can send a counter offer. The counter must be higher than the minimum (a minimum can be zero, which means to queue all offers for consideration) but not higher than the listed price.

It's interesting that eBay is slightly ahead of Heritage on this. But I suspect that will change!

Scott :hi:

A couple of things:

The Make Offer to Owner program was started largely in response to numerous inquiries we've received (and still receive) asking us to pass along an offer to the person who bought an item in one of our auctions. It is intended to both formalize this process and keep it anonymous. As such, we opted all eligible items into the program, and this means that if you make an offer, there is a chance that the item has already changed hands, or that the owner will not be interested in selling at any price.

There is no requirement that you accept any unsolicited offers that are sent to you. If you receive an offer, you can either accept, counter, reject, or ignore it.

An ignored offer is automatically rejected after three days. Keep this in mind if you're making offers and receiving lots of rejections; this may simply mean that the owners of the coins didn't read their e-mail.

If you set a price on an item, or if you counter another offer with a price, this implies that you are willing to accept that amount for the item. This will list the item in the archives as "Buy Now from Owner". However, if you have set a price, you can change it at any time, and because we know that we've sold plenty of items that have increased in prices by multiples (generic Saints anyone?), there is no limit to the price you set. In other words, we're not asking you to sell your coins for below market (although if you absolutely must, we'll happily take the phone call or e-mail! :))

The program is still in beta status, although we can and do sell items this way regularly. We are making some changes in response to the thread across the street, and I'd be more than happy to hear any suggestions you have, at stewarth@ha.com.

I attempted to use this program for two coins and found it infuriating to the point that I emailed Todd Imhoff and Win Callender about the issues. These comments were apparently taken seriously and Michael Weems and Paul Minshull were brought into the conversation by Heritage. My points were addressed at an in-house Heritage meeting where some of the wording that Heritage had been using for this program was changed to the wording that I submitted to them in order to better reflect the realities of the program. It was very nice to see the responsiveness of the company. Later, Stewart Huckaby, who has posted to this thread, also sent an email to me to clarify some points.

In my opinion, based upon my actual usage of the program in August and September, the program was not well thought out on all fronts and had the potential to alienate good clients via frustration and a waste of time as well as a committment of resources that were not needed. To the credit of Heritage, they not only responded to my comments, but also changed some of the parameters of the program. I have not yet used the program since this exchange, but I would hope that it would be implemented with all the parameters that I had suggested so that the goodwill of their clients would not be dissipated.

Interesting, eBay has this option. You can set a minimum allowed offer. If the offer does not meet that minimum, the system automatically rejects the offer.

Once the offer is sent to me, I can send a counter offer. The counter must be higher than the minimum (a minimum can be zero, which means to queue all offers for consideration) but not higher than the listed price.

It's interesting that eBay is slightly ahead of Heritage on this. But I suspect that will change!

Scott :hi:

Scott I don't think you understand the program.

The coin was already sold on HA and it was shipped to the new owner. When you look in

the auction archives you will find that there is a button by certain coins where you can click the

"Make offer to Owner". You are making an offer to the new owner that bought the coin in the original HA auction.