• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grading costs

2 posts in this topic

I tried using your search feature and didn't find my answers.

So my questions are:

I see a lot of lower valued coins graded by ngc and I was wondering how one justifies the cost of grading when the cost of grading is more than the value of the coin. Is there like a volume grading discount?

The reason I ask is I have a number of beautiful toned 2004 & 2005 lincoln cents like I would liked graded but I can't see spending the money on grading if each coin is only worth a few dollars. So the next question is would it be worth grading these coins and their real value? I am sure they would grade high and red.

Thanks

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There are some submitters who knowingly send in coins that are worth less than the grading cost, simply because they want them for a Registry set of just their collection. More often, however, these lower value coins are submitted by dealers under NGC's Pre-Screen service, which does have a sliding scale of discounts. This service is available only to those having dealer accounts with NGC.