• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What coins would you buy if you hit the mega jackpot lottery?

44 posts in this topic

I kind of wonder if I might quit because, as Condor said, the challenge would essentially be gone. You could buy anything you wanted.

Alternately, I might just work on coins in the $500-$2000 range, but with similar themes to what I'm interested in now.

Of course, I'm sure I'll have to worry about corrosion from the humidity on my beautiful, private tropical island. And I'll have to make sure to always wash off the sunscreen from my hands after rubbing down my hot wife on the beach, before handling any coins.

See, Michael, that is where I have a distinct advantage over you. I'm divorced. I'd have different women boated back and forth to the island every day.

Chris :whee:

Actually, if I won $100 million, and I've thought about this, this is what I really would do....

I would donate an extremely large amount to the Smithsonian for the construction of a permanent, dedicated museum to house the National Numismatic Collection. It would be a coin mecca of unparalleled grandeur. Why buy one coin or a set of coins when I could put my name on them all?

I would donate an extremely large amount to the Smithsonian for the construction of a permanent, dedicated museum to house the National Numismatic Collection. It would be a coin mecca of unparalleled grandeur.

..........and our elected officials would want to know how it would benefit the constituents of their home state. I remember when Florida finally passed legislation for a state lottery. They sold the public on it by requiring that the state's share be used solely for education. And, every year the money goes into the General Fund for pork-bellied politicians to spend as they please. It's estimated that less than half has gone to education. For many years, Florida spurned invitations to join the Powerball because they couldn't have total control of the funds.

You'd be better off constructing your own building and charging admission.

Chris

But as some have pointed out, just because you have enough money to buy virtually every major rarity in the hobby, or close to it, does not mean that you could obtain those coins. They are often in very strong hands.

True but I have no interest in those coins. And even though the major rarities I am interested in are in strong hands, with that kind of money I could probably pry most of them loose without too much trouble. Especially since most of the are NOT unique. One of the owners would probable cave in and sell.

So I would probably quit and then move into the national archives. In fact one thing I would probably do would be to fund the digitalization of all the mint records and related records in the archives to make them available to researchers on the net.

Have to admit though, I would like to buy the King of Siam set, just so I could bust them all out of those holders and put them back in the presentaion case where they belong.