• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll: Best Coin Investment Pick 3

Best Coin Investment Pick 3  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Best Coin Investment Pick 3

30 posts in this topic

Pick 3 of these options for your opinion of the best coins for investment over the next 3 years. It's all relative -- pick your opinion of the best performer amongst the list. Click the buttons and your picks will be tabulated and the results revealed.

None of the above..... 2008 Reverse of 2007 Silver American Eagle is the one I vote for

I think that was one of the worst investments. The MS70s are already selling for what the MS69s were going for.

I don't see the MS69 selling for more than $400 in the next 3 years.

None of the above..... 2008 Reverse of 2007 Silver American Eagle is the one I vote for

I think that was one of the worst investments. The MS70s are already selling for what the MS69s were going for.

I agree.

I agree.

Does anyone think it would be worthwhile to hold onto the 2006W, 2007W & 2008W Satin Finish SAE's since the Mint cancelled the program?

Chris

I agree.

Does anyone think it would be worthwhile to hold onto the 2006W, 2007W & 2008W Satin Finish SAE's since the Mint cancelled the program?

Chris

I do since I bought a bunch of 2007 W ER70. The 2006 were too high already.

I voted junk silver. Don't hate on me.....MJ

To me, junk silver is the easy pick out of that group.

And how in the world could the 1995-W ASE appear on any list of best picks. It is bar none the most overpriced coin in the world.

What about 2006-W Proof Buffalo or the fractionals of the 08-W ?

I chose the top and the bottom two. A good friend of mine who has tons of gold bullion is getting into platinum now

What about 2006-W Proof Buffalo or the fractionals of the 08-W ?

I chose the top and the bottom two. A good friend of mine who has tons of gold bullion is getting into platinum now

platinum, the other white meat

MJ

Put me down for junk silver also.

Me, too! I can make 1000% profit just going through boxes of quarter & half rolls from my bank and picking out the circulated silver.

Chris

a few more best value for the money OR coins with a fundemential reason to rise in demand

and yes there might be other coins NOT mentioned that are just as good

BUT NONETHELESS HERE GOES

1794 large cents with average+ to choice planchets vf and above

xf better

au and above best

any choice vf and above small planchet pine tree shilling with a centered planchet and original surfaces

any gem mintstate flying eagle cents that are 100% fully struck and semi-prooflike to prooflike with original undipped surfaces---this leaves out 95%++ of the current certified examples

any 1794-1795 flowing hair silver coins choice original vg and above

any choice and original dove grey 1795-1798 small eagle dollars vg and above

choice au three dollar gold pieces- if the coin is a slightly better date then all the more positive

any pre 1800 coinage with decent eye appeal and mostly full details

any large cents pre 1845 with nice original surfaces vg and above

None of the above?

The answer to your question is yes. The likelihood of anyone compiling an accurate list of "best picks" is remote because of the range of possible choices. But in any financially speculative endevour, a common principle can be applied and that is to avoid competition by buying something that is off the beaten track before enough other people see it.

I selected junk silver because I considered it the best option from the list, but in actuality, I do not consider any of the choices to be good regardless of the fact that I like some of the coins and am indifferent to the rest.

And in turn this opinion is based upon my outlook for the economy (which I expect to negatively effect ALL coin prices) and second, except for junk silver which has zero numismatic premium, all of the others are already "over owned".

I agree and I said it when people were first talkng about it.I dont like any of the choices,however, junk silver, would probably be the best of several bad choices. I am curious why only Carson city Morgans were listed.I think the Carson city is over rated although I own five of them.Others are more expensive.. Compare the price of an 1884 CC in MS64 and an 1879 O in MS 64.

Have mentioned before that I dont see the 'gold bug' movement.We are in a deflationary period with over capacity low demand and high unemployment. Gold needs infllation and an escape from the dollar and I dont see it yet.If Goldn were to stay at 1100 and slver was ever to obtain the 20 to one historic ratio then silver could rise to soem extent. If Gold drops back to 900 and maintains the present ratio then silver is a little over priced.

The 1995 is overpriced and probably coming down in price.I bought an the 20th anniversary from the U.S. Mint for $106.00 when it first came out. I prefer the Reverse proof to the 1995.

Unless there is somebody around to do enough buying to move gold ala the Hunts and silver I see nobody moving gold at this price etc.With over 16 million people unemployed I dont see to many people buying it.

I am glad this topic is gathering a spirited debate.

Personally, although I did not post this as an option, the 2009 PF Gold Buffalo may be the best bet if the mintage comes out low.

Anyway, it's just an opinion.

I am curious why only Carson city Morgans were listed.I think the Carson city is over rated although I own five of them.Others are more expensive.. Compare the price of an 1884 CC in MS64 and an 1879 O in MS 64.

Author's privilege!

However, you shouldn't equate (comparatively) higher values with the allure some collectors have for the double "C" mintmark, not just for Morgans, but in any series. Not only is it the only double-letter mintmark the Mint has ever used, but in the case of the Morgan, it is forever linked to our history by virtue of the connection to the Comstock Lode.

Chris

I am glad this topic is gathering a spirited debate.

Personally, although I did not post this as an option, the 2009 PF Gold Buffalo may be the best bet if the mintage comes out low.

Anyway, it's just an opinion.

There is nothing wrong with your selections. I doubt anyone could come up with an accurate list. But here is more background on my prior comments.

My assumptions are based upon 1) my expectations for the economy and the financial markets and 2) who the current owners of these coins might be at the current time.

In the current thread on silver on gold, I've already commented on the first item extensively, so I will not repeat that here. The only thing I would add is that though I am bearish on silver now, I could easily see it higher or at least about the same level in three years as today which is near $18. That's why I picked junk silver. I cannot say the same thing about the other coins on your (or possibly any other) list.

About half of your options are modern bullion and there are two comments i have about them. First, the premiums to bullion are already large in many instances for such common coins and I expect these to shrink and certainly not increase in a weak economy which does not make them good "investment" candidates.

Second, though I have no evidence of this, I believe that the current owners of these coins are generally less affluent than collectors who own equivalently expensive material (such as US classics or early federal coinage) from other areas.

If this is correct, then I would describe many of these people as "weak hands" who are likely to be forced to sell to raise cash due to adverse circumstances. If this does happen, then a coin like the 1995-W ASE could fall substantilaly because it is very common. A decline of 80% from its (apparently current typical) price of about $2500 would be reasonable to me. Obviously it is a very popular coin but given the mintage of just over 30,000 (of which presumably 99% exist in high grade), the best explanation for this high price is that the supply at any given time is low. And because of this mintage, the potential supply at any given time could increase substantially to 100, 500 or several thousand from whatever level it normally has been. (Pick a number, its arbitrary anyway but you can get the idea.)

Since I do not know who the owners of this coin (or any other) are, its speculation but what is not speculation is the stress the economy is putting on people's finances. If my profile of these owner's is correct, then I doubt that many (maybe most) of them could afford to buy this coin at the current price now. Quite a few of them probably bought it at issuance or maybe shortly after at much lower prices.

By my definition, if someone cannot afford to buy a coin at current prices, that probably means in reality that they cannot afford to keep it either and should probably sell it. Others may think differently but it is part of my financially conservative philosophy.

Everything that you say is true especaially about "weak hands" and I also have a different view. Let us take the 1879 S Morgan .There are two different varieties. The more rarer on has about 500,000 estimated. It is the one that has the parallel arrow feathers as opposed to the one that has the slanted arrow feathers and has a strike minage of over 8 miilion.A ms64 in the more scarce version goes fort about $1400.00 while an ms64 in the more plentiful version goes for about $70.00. If you go to ms65 for the scarce version or the 1879S Reverse of 1878 (PAF) then you are looking at about $7500 while for one in ms65 on ther 1879S reverse of 1879(SAF) in ms65 you are looking at about $160.00.Both are 130 years old.Try to find an 1879S (PAF). How can you compare the 1995 or even the Modern reverse to either.

Next you have the 1878 8TF which began the morgan series. This is the only year and mint with the 8 Tail feathers. It has a total estimated mint strike of 750,000 and there are not that many Morgans under a miilion.Try to find one certified in PL. NGC has certified a total of about 400 over the whole range. A non PL in MS65 goes for about $1300.00. An MS66 goes for about 10K. I have an 1878 8TF MS63 PL that Numismedia lists at $325.00. This is the one where NGC has only certified 400 over the whole grading range.See how often you can find a PL in any grade in this one.I would rather have it then the modern one.

This is why it is also confusing to me when the originator of this poll only included the Carson City Morgans.An 1879 in MS65 goes for about $1050 and an 1879 O in just MS64 for about 500.00 and in MS65 for about $3000.00.An 1885CC which I believe has the lowest of the CC is about $750,00 in MS64 and $1500.00 in MS65 or only half the quote of the 1879 O in MS65