• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My turn to rant!

20 posts in this topic

Sorry, folks, but I need to let off a little steam. I recently sold a coin on Ebay

and upon shipping the coin received the following feedback "REAL BEAUTY REAL HAPPY" from the buyer. Well, 10 days later I receive an email from Paypal that this buyer had filed an "item not as described" and that it had been escalated to a claim and would I answer the claim. I wrote that the buyer had given me positive feedback upon receipt of the item expressing their satisfaction with the coin and had never contacted me in any way until this claim with paypal.

I received another email stating that they had found in favor of the buyer and that they had ordered the buyer to ship the coin back to me with tracking upon my receipt they would refund the buyer out of my paypal account.

They offer no explanation as to why they found in the buyer's favor. I have written them twice and both times they have ignored my request for an explanation and only restated that they had found in the buyers favor.

Now, had the buyer emailed me that they later noticed something that they just didn't like about the coin, I would have gladly given a refund and with no hard feelings. I have only returned one coin(a proof set) in my nearly 6 years selling on ebay with 100% feedback. The customer said they did not like it and I promptly refunded their money. I am pretty PO'D that the buyer just filed a claim with paypal without even informing me of their action, but I am infuriated with paypal for automatically siding with the buyer without an explanation as to why.

I know we all say this regularly, but this cuts it with me with paypal and ebay(as they are the same). I will pull my paypal account as soon as I receive the coin/refund and discontinue any business in their auction venue.

I will do this fully realizing their is not another venue available at this time for me, therefore pretty much ending my coin selling/buying enjoyment.

Thanks for listening.

Jim

1907IHCraw062309flguyinhand.jpg

this is the problem with ebay! they always give to the buyer no matter what. once the feedback is left it is a done deal. especialy when + feedback is left. ebay had no right to null a deal made by 2 others. it is a binding contract.

would you feel ok about blasting a name out there so we can watch out for this buyer?

Looking at the photo it would seem that the price was fair. There was one contradiction. In your description you called the coin “BU with vivid red coloring” while the next line read, “Item Condition: Circulated”

If you enjoyed selling on eBay it seems a shame that you are throwing in the towel over a $21.95 item.

I realize you are frustrated with ebay/PayPal, but I would advise against cutting off your nose to spite your face. Get the coin back, refund the money, block the bidder and move on with life.

I have been on ebay since 1998 and I used the PayPal dispute services one time as a buyer, but have thankfully never faced it as a seller. In my case, the seller listed a coin and specifically wrote that it was spot free and hairline free. They also included an image of the coin, but in the description they wrote that they inadvertantly included the wrong reverse image for the coin. I won the coin and upon receipt immediately noticed that it had a large spot on the reverse that was only visible at certain angles, but was definitely there and killed the eye appeal.

I wrote the seller about a return for refund and they responded that I was a possible scammer and that they would not refund. A PayPal claim or dispute was then filed by me, whichever is the less important process, and I gave PayPal a detailed accounting of what had happened. The seller was given the chance to reply and again stated I was likely a scammer. I stuck by the truth and escalated the process. PayPal found in my favor, but it took about two weeks, and I returned the coin and gave out my only negative feedback from all my years on ebay.

Bill,

I am not giving up on a $21 item. I am protecting myself from the possibility of a much larger expense of time and aggravation. This proves to me that their is not a two way dialogue with ebay/paypal, just the one. I was one who complained of the other one way avenue that existed when sellers would hold positive feedback as a sword of Damocles to insure that they received positive feedback even though the buyer had paid in a timely manner. That was not right either, but now they have steered their course the other way without allowing the winds of discontent of both parties from being felt. This has replaced my trust in either organization with dissatisfaction and my only avenue of recourse I have is to not use them.

Trust me, I thought of buying from this buyer/seller just to leave them a poor sellers feedback, but merely a fleeting thought. Hopefully, I am now and will remain above that.

The buyer goes by joseph3752.

Just as a note the difference in listing the item as circulated was an error which in no way would enter into this equation. As I said, I would have immediately refunded the item had the buyer emailed me their dissatisfaction. Most people that I know would have refunded the coin if the buyer was unhappy regardless of whether positive feedback had been left or not. I have bought coins before that I first liked then after looking found problems. I just felt the buyer handled this very poorly.

Jim

TomB,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, while it may seem I am cutting off my nose to spite my face. I am seeing so many complaints in this regards as the word travels that the two companies will 100% back a buyer and ignore the most important complaints of a seller, that I a feel now is the time to leave before it becomes even more commonplace.

In your situation, that is what I would expect paypal or ebays recourse system to provide-Protection when needed. I would think that either would have demanded the buyer contact me and try to settle this without either of them being involved, but they just took it on theirselves to settle it without concern for the seller.

Again, just my opinion.

Jim

I just felt the buyer handled this very poorly.

I agree. The buyer should have taken any issue up with you before filing a claim with paypal. I hate when people have an issue with something and instead of bringing it up with the person responsible for the issue they bring it to some higher authority without ever first asking the person responsible if they would remedy the issue. It’s weak. I blocked him.

Jim, FANTASTIC rant and subject matter! You can understand why I have been off of eBay for eighteen months - AND I DON'T MISS IT AT ALL!

I never got nailed by PayPalProblems since I was never willing to open an account, but I simply got sick and tired of all the peripheral nonsense. The sooner eBay is out of business, the better. My business is financially better off without them.

You can take the man out of eBay but you can't take eBay out of the man.

I don't like like the way McDonalds uses freeze dried diced up onions on their hamburgers but every time fast food is brought up you don't read me ranting about it.

Same with eBay.

You don't like it? Excellent!

Continue to have nothing to do with eBay but extend that practice to also stop repeating the tired sad mantra of how they failed you.

Your thread.

I respect that.

I was responding to James tired, ad nauseum complaint on eBay, and was being self indulgent. My behavior could have slightly derailed your thread.

Your original post brought up a fresh viewpoint and that should have been the nucleus of my response in place of what I did react to.