• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Done

50 posts in this topic

Yes, done. Finis. Complete. And to make sure I'm not tempted to make any more changes/upgrades/swaps/etc., I had NGC put this set into multi-coin holders.

OK, if I win the lottery some day I will look for the gold to go with it but other than that its a done deal in my eyes.

1866ProofSet.jpg

WOW!

That's quite a colleciton. Congrats! (worship)

Years ago I had an original 1909 Proof set. I sold it when I was raising the down payment for my first house.

I've thought about completing a 1913 set because I have the cent and two Buffalo nickels.

Congratulations! Were the quarter and/or half and/or the dollar acquired together? The quarter and half, in particular, look as if they have resided together for a long time.

Thank you all for the kind comments and positive responses.

To answer some of the questions that have been raised, each coin was purchased individually yet I wouldn't be surprised if at least a few of them were part of an original set that was broken up as some point. I say this because the toning patterns really are strikingly similar on a few of the coins, more so than even my compiled image would indicate.

The set was built around the dollar, purchased in 2005. It was originally in a 64-CAM holder, no star. It went in for designation review, in the holder, and did not get the star. I felt so strongly that it deserved the star that I actually cracked it out and sent it in raw. Lo and behold it came back with the star.

The 3CS was added in 2006. In 2007, there was a growth spurt as I added 5 more coins to the set. One more in 2008 and finally, in 2009 I added the last 2. At least half of the coins were swapped throughout the process as better examples surfaced. I had to pay strong money for some of the coins but it was very important for me to match the set well and requiring the Cameo designation really limited my choices.

The 10 coins came from 5 different sources: auction houses and dealers.

Someone asked about my next project. I still have quite a few uncompleted projects, including an 1897 Cameo proof set begun in 2007 (I have 4 of 6 coins) and a 1937 proof set begun in 2005 for which I only have 2 of the 5 coins. I also want to complete my Quarter Type Set linked below and my Half Eagle Type Set listed under Signature Sets. I won't be starting anything new for a while...

Quote :

"And to make sure I'm not tempted to make any more changes/upgrades/swaps/etc....."

I honestly don't think that changes or upgrades are necessary/possible. I would be extremely proud to own such a set just as I'm sure you are. Congrats!!