• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you an engineer?

Are you an engineer?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an engineer?

86 posts in this topic

I'm not terribly fond of engineering.

Then you don't need to major in ChemE. It's a bad idea.

Yeah but I'm good at it. ;) I just don't really like it.

History does not pay as well as either law or engineering. Zack, you may be able to combine something between law and engineering that might be interesting and profitable for you down the road.

History does not pay as well as either law or engineering. Zack, you may be able to combine something between law and engineering that might be interesting and profitable for you down the road.

Patent law. :) I know some engineers that went into patent law and they make a hefty bundle.

History does not pay well at all, but it sure helps to get into law school, and it is interesting besides.

And I might as well double major in something, because if all I got to take were science and math classes, I'd go nuts.

My daughter is studying to be a ceramic engineer at Missouri S&T but I am not an engineer, nor married to one.

Tim, I don't think you ever told me that - I went there for two years :o ! Very tough school, and she will have no problems at all finding good employment with that degree. I seem to remember they are consistently ranked with the top ten or so engineering schools in the country.

She's a freshman and is finishing an easy for her first semester. Next semester she has Calculus Two and Physics. She expects to face a much tougher challenge. She's an intelligent young woman, does very well in math and realizes it will become more difficult the further she advances. The prospects for good employment keeps her focused.

James, so where did you receive your engineering degrees?

I transferred from Rolla to Columbia (MIZZOU) where my credits were 100% applicable, since these schools are all part of the "University of Missouri" system. Actually, Columbia probably wasn't much harder than Rolla overall, but there are far more "distractions" there, shall we say. When finished, I'd earned a degree in Electrical Engineering, and another in Computer Engineering. About one semester after I finished up, the university system combined the two degrees into one.

I think it's marvelous your daughter attends Rolla! If she pulls it off successfully, her future success in the job market is practically assured.

My daughter is studying to be a ceramic engineer at Missouri S&T but I am not an engineer, nor married to one.

Tim, I don't think you ever told me that - I went there for two years :o ! Very tough school, and she will have no problems at all finding good employment with that degree. I seem to remember they are consistently ranked with the top ten or so engineering schools in the country.

She's a freshman and is finishing an easy for her first semester. Next semester she has Calculus Two and Physics. She expects to face a much tougher challenge. She's an intelligent young woman, does very well in math and realizes it will become more difficult the further she advances. The prospects for good employment keeps her focused.

James, so where did you receive your engineering degrees?

I transferred from Rolla to Columbia (MIZZOU) where my credits were 100% applicable, since these schools are all part of the "University of Missouri" system. Actually, Columbia probably wasn't much harder than Rolla overall, but there are far more "distractions" there, shall we say. When finished, I'd earned a degree in Electrical Engineering, and another in Computer Engineering. About one semester after I finished up, the university system combined the two degrees into one.

I think it's marvelous your daughter attends Rolla! If she pulls it off successfully, her future success in the job market is practically assured.

One semester down with very positive results. She (we) hope you are right on the job front. My brother-in-law graduated from Rolla and has done very well in his employment.

Patent law. :) I know some engineers that went into patent law and they make a hefty bundle.

My brother is a patent and trademark lawyer. He was a double major in music and chemistry and then went to work for generic drug makers. When he got tired of being a lab rat, he studied for the Patent Bar (different from the Lawyer's Bar). When he passed, he was able to present cases before the Patent and Trademark Office. The law degree is not necessary, but he went to law school to expand his horizons. It lets him hang out his own shingle.

You can also come to the DC area and work for PTO as a patent examiner. If you check out the PTO's website you will find that they are always hiring, especially those with background in the sciences. PTO has a great telecommuting policy. In fact, 80-percent of their employees telework. It's been a great tool to recruit and retain examiners. Combined with the government benefits, it is a great option to consider.

Besides... it puts you closer to Baltimore and the 3-times per year Whitman Show!

History does not pay well at all, but it sure helps to get into law school, and it is interesting besides.

Back in the olden days when they discouraged multiple majors and didn't have minors, I used my electives options to take history and political science courses. I now read numismatic history and other writings on numismatics laws.

And I might as well double major in something, because if all I got to take were science and math classes, I'd go nuts.

What school are you in? Can't you find a release at football or basketball games? I spent my fall as a member of the University of Georgia Redcoat Marching Band and going to football games. It was a wonderful time... and I was there in the Herschel Walker days which made it that much better!

Scott :hi:

What school are you in? Can't you find a release at football or basketball games? I spent my fall as a member of the University of Georgia Redcoat Marching Band and going to football games. It was a wonderful time... and I was there in the Herschel Walker days which made it that much better!

Hey Scott,

I go to the University of Virginia, so no, there is no release from the football games. We went a lofty 3-9 this season. :(

And I meant go nuts with boredom academically. ;) There is still plenty of time for other *ahem* college pursuits. I did manage a 3.9 GPA through my first semester in the "weed out" engineering classes, so I take that as a good sign for future semesters.

Zach

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the engineering part. My dad was an aircraft engineer for McDonnell-Douglas for over 30 years, though. I took calculus my first semester of my freshman year and never looked back at mathematics. When I took the GRE years later I had to brush up on things I knew back in high school.

With an MA in historical theology I was able to find a job in car sales. :sorry:

Better to choose a career that you enjoy instead of one that comes easy. You'll be working your entire life, you might as well enjoy what you do.

Since so many of us are engineers lets post a few engineer jokes here to prove that we have a healthy sense of humor.

Nothing too dirty, we have standards, don't we?

I'll go first...

One afternoon, an engineering student was riding across campus on a shiny new bike. He ran into a friend of his, also an engineering major, who said, "Wow! That sure is a great bike. Where did you get it?"

"Well, the darndest thing happened," said the first engineering student. "A girl came riding up to me, got off the bike, threw off all her clothes, and said that I could have anything that I wanted."

"Wow," remarked his friend. "That's great. Good move. Her clothes probably wouldn't have fit you anyway."

:grin:

Real Engineers wear mustaches or beards for "efficiency". Not because they're lazy.

An architect, an artist and an engineer were discussing whether it was better to spend time with the wife or a mistress. The architect said he enjoyed time with his wife, building a solid foundation for an enduring relationship. The artist said he enjoyed time with his mistress, because of the passion and mystery he found there. The engineer said, "I like both." "Both?" Engineer: "Yeah. If you have a wife and a mistress, they will each assume you are spending time with the other woman, and you can go to the lab and get some work done."

YOU MAY BE AN ENGINEER...

If you need a spreadsheet to figure out who owes what for lunch,

If you plan your family vacation on a Gantt chart,

If you use a CAD package to design your son's Pine Wood Derby car,

If you know the direction the water swirls when you flush,

If you own "Official Star Trek" anything,

If the salespeople at Best Buy can't answer any of your questions,

If you rotate your screen savers more frequently than your automobile tires,

If you have more toys than your kids,

If you can type 70 words a minute but can't read your own handwriting,

If you know how to take the cover off of your computer, and what size screw driver to use,

If you thought the real heroes of "Apollo 13" were the Mission Controllers,

If you know what http:/ stands for,

If you've ever tried to repair a $5.00 radio,

I just finished my first semester as a double major ChemE and History. I'd like to go to law school, I'm not terribly fond of engineering.

My advice to you, based upon my own experience, would be to get out of engineering now if it is not something you truly enjoy.

So since this thread turned into a barrage of people telling me to get out while I still can, let me clarify a few things. ;)

I am currently pursuing a chemical engineering degree, as I had planned to do. The subjects that I excelled at in high school were calculus, physics, and chemistry, so this made sense. Perhaps because I always found these subjects easy, I found them dull. Therefore, I decided to add extensive study in history, a field I do find interesting, even though I find it more challenging. Perhaps I will proceed to law school, perhaps not, likely depending on which law schools I get into. All I do know is that I like my current GPA and plan to continue on the path to an engineering degree because, well, that's what I'm good at. (shrug)

I am currently pursuing a chemical engineering degree, as I had planned to do. The subjects that I excelled at in high school were calculus, physics, and chemistry, so this made sense. Perhaps because I always found these subjects easy, I found them dull. Therefore, I decided to add extensive study in history, a field I do find interesting, even though I find it more challenging. Perhaps I will proceed to law school, perhaps not, likely depending on which law schools I get into. All I do know is that I like my current GPA and plan to continue on the path to an engineering degree because, well, that's what I'm good at. (shrug)

I had a similar situation, but with one important difference. I love to talk about my work. I've even made the mistake of trying to talk to girls in bars about chemistry. But that didn't go over well.... and I'm still single... :boo:

I had a similar situation, but with one important difference. I love to talk about my work. I've even made the mistake of trying to talk to girls in bars about chemistry. But that didn't go over well.... and I'm still single... :boo:

That isn't the kind of "chemistry" that interests women.

Chris

My wife has her PhD in analytical chemistry, so, hey, it might work with some woman out there (not my wife). (thumbs u

My future step son just graduated from RPI but is having a difficult time finding work .

Anyone hiring !! :_}

Have him register here:

http://www.gecareers.com/GECAREERS/jsp/searchJobs/searchJobs.jsp

There are still a few jobs out there, all he has to do is keep applying.

Good luck!

My future step son just graduated from RPI but is having a difficult time finding work .

Anyone hiring !! :_}

What was his major?

Remember, the US Government is always hiring! Just go to usajobs.gov to find a job with the government. The government hires all types, including engineers. I've heard that the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is hiring a lot of technical types. Other agencies, like the EPA, FDA, NRC, and PTO are also looking for people with science-related backgrounds. Just have him go to the site and start searching.

My wife has her PhD in analytical chemistry, so, hey, it might work with some woman out there (not my wife). (thumbs u

My wife has a PhD in biochemistry and said that she agreed to a second date because I was not a PhD and because I was doing computers and not in biochemistry... aside from thinking that I was cute! :insane: