• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you an engineer?

Are you an engineer?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an engineer?

86 posts in this topic

Lately I have noticed that quite a few coin collectors at the coin forums I frequent (NGC, Coin People and Coin Talk) make their living as engineers.

Maybe it's because we have a little extra money to indulge in this hobby. Not as much as a doctor, lawyer or investment banker, but a little more than most people. Maybe it's because we appreciate the process of minting a coin. Who knows?

Simple poll, either you are an engineer or you are not. Retired engineers count.

Please vote! And for the record I am an engineer, 35 years in recording studios and 3 in television.

Nope, I am not an engineer. Just your typical blue collar worker here. At least not by technical definition, though I do have to do minor engineering on the fly. (Machinist)

I started out as an engineering major a college, mainly because my father thought it was what I should do, and hated it. Poor grades in calculus put an end to “my father’s dream.” So far as I’m concerned “the NEW MATH" sucks. :mad::pullhair: When I took calculus again in graduate school using the traditional approach, I had no problem with it.

I ended up majoring in accounting with a high powered interest in economics and history. Later I earned an MBA.

Nope! No degree. Uncle Sam got me (1969) before I could finish, and then kids came along. When it finally got to the point where I would be able to return, I didn't care.

Chris

I'm still in school. Math major. No clue what I want to do with it.

Make money! Figuratively, of course, unless you want to go to China and teach them how to counterfeit Somali $ coins.

Chris

Multiple degrees -> 2 graduate Engineering, 1 in actuarial math, 1 MBA.... (Real objective was to study the people around me while they were studying the course material - Basic premise follows: Goal is to increase wealth - People have and/or control wealth - people can be convinced/motivated to trade their wealth or the wealth they control to you in commerce - therefore the best/most direct route to consistently achieve the goal is to fully understand the people/their desires/motivations/ambitions/weaknesses who are most likely to control the greatest wealth (i.e. All those grad school students)... And become the trusted source for an item/service that they desire... Thought/planned out like an engineer (original undergrad degree) of course...

I do however routinely utilize other knowledge gained when making investment decisions... Paper in the pocket is always better than paper on the wall, but both can greatly improve your perspective...

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Electrical engineering, Pacific Gas & Electric Company, 1980-94. I believe I was the last person on the planet who learned to draw gears using drafting tools and create perspective renderings with a compass. By the time I left, almost everything was being done with CADD (computer-aided design and drafting).

I started school as a chemical engineering major. Took the advanced standing tests in chem and first 2 calc classes while in high school. Made a A in final calc course. Started engine math and was so lost after only a couple of weeks that I couldn't even ask a coherent question, So much for my engineering degree...frustrated me so much that I ended up finishing my degree in Political Science---better known as "Would you like fries with that?"

Now I am a systems engineer. At least Microsoft says so even if no "real" engineer would.

The closest I got to engineering was working with a team of Areo-Space engineers from Huntsville, Ala when we went through and re-wrote the DMWR (Depot Maintenance Work Requirements) for the repair/overhaul & test requirements of the UH-60 helicopter transmission.

They requested a mechanic with hands-on experience who could comprehend and analyze functions as relayed through words . Apparently I fit the bill because there was more than one occasion when all eyes and ears were focused on my every word.

It’s amazing to watch a bunch of engineers discuss functionality with something no one has ever experienced…for the most part, they are always correct.

My daughter is studying to be a ceramic engineer at Missouri S&T but I am not an engineer, nor married to one.

Tim, I don't think you ever told me that - I went there for two years :o ! Very tough school, and she will have no problems at all finding good employment with that degree. I seem to remember they are consistently ranked with the top ten or so engineering schools in the country.

Electrical engineering, Pacific Gas & Electric Company, 1980-94. I believe I was the last person on the planet who learned to draw gears using drafting tools and create perspective renderings with a compass. By the time I left, almost everything was being done with CADD (computer-aided design and drafting).

I used to use a slide rule to make design calculations. :P

My daughter was an aerospace engineer and did design work for NASA. After she married a Marine aviator (C-130 Hercules pilot) she had to leave her job because he was transfered and she's been moving ever since.

Graduated in 2007 with a BS in Engineering Physics - basically applied physics degree with a focus on near earth space applications.

Worked for 2 years as a field engineer on offshore oil rigs in the Gulf.

Now working for the Navy as a nuclear physicist/engineer (my job title is Crew Training Engineer, but that just doesn't have the same *pop* as nucular physicist.)

I generally consider myself an applied physicist, which is a brand of engineering.

I get my B.S. in 8 days. It should be a fiat acompli at this point as the last thing I have to do is a Political Science final (my god, liberal arts freshmen are dumb). I've already secured a 71.5 minimum in that class without the final so there's nothing to fear there.

Chemical enginering is my field. I prefer process engineering to materials science within the discipline. I'm hoping to continue my studies with a Ph.D. emphasizing process safety, probabilistic hazards analysis, and process integration/optimization. I've been fortunate enough to participate in undergraduate research for the last year with the Mary Kay O'Connor Process Safety Center, a sub unit of of the Texas Engineering Experiment Station. Making things safer can be surprisingly satisfying work. :)

I took drafting in college.

I've dumped garbage cans as a sanitation engineer.

I think most physicists are out of touch with real life.

I know how to use a slide rule, CAD program, and The Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.

I've operated various locomotives.

Can I be an honorary engineer? ;)

I took drafting in college.

I've dumped garbage cans as a sanitation engineer.

I think most physicists are out of touch with real life.

I know how to use a slide rule, CAD program, and The Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.

I've operated various locomotives.

Can I be an honorary engineer? ;)

Yes, you can borrow my Choo Choo any time you want.

Chris

Yes, you can borrow my Choo Choo any time you want.

Cool.

Even if it's a toy train it shouldn't be a problem unless it's computer controlled. :insane:

I mean the one on my sig line.

Chris

I have a BS in Metallurgy (Materials Science & Engineering). If you can't figure out what school I attended and what year I graduated you are not an engineer. I only used my degree for about a 1 year. It was obvious to me that labor unions were going to put the plant that I worked at out of business. As I predicted, the plant closed within 3 years.

Over 10 years later I make my living as a hotelier. Ironically, labor unions seem to be threatening the viability of my current industry as well.

Dude, from all the Nuclear Engineers I know... and seeing the coins you collect..... I'll have to say you made a very smart decision! Not that that do bad.... but... well, do I have to restate the obvious! :)

I mean the one on my sig line.

D'oh.

That's even cooler. I once operated a steam pump but never anything like a steam locomotive.

It should be a real hoot.