• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading UK Decimal Coins

4 posts in this topic

I recently bought a few uncirculated mint sets for my collection from the UK. I was very impressed by the coins. :golfclap: Nearly all of them had proof-like surfaces and a couple almost had just a hint of cameo-like contrast difference between the fields and the centerpoint of the coin. Here are my questions: is this typical for UK mint sets? I saw nearly no contact marks anywhere but rare places in the fields. Where are the major points of UK coins on the reverse that contact marks are a big negative toward grading? Are these worth sending in for submission? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

British mint sets can be among the best anywhere. Swiss sets are about the only ones that I like more but a lot of world mint sets are made to very exacting standards.

The market on British decimals is still not very strong apparently so it seems unlikely there's a profit in slabbing them. A lot of these coins are pretty scarce though and should get some attention eventually.