• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can registry points for circulated coins be expanded?

1 post in this topic

I've searched the previous threads to see if this has been reviewed previously...with no results, so here goes.

As an example, I recently acquired an 1892-S Morgan Dollar in AU58. The registry point system gives the same points for AU50, 53, 55 & 58.

CDN has AU50 bid @ $1,300 and MS60 bid @ $24,500, a big jump with a lot of value in between. Realized prices for auctions verify that an AU58 coin is worth substantially more than an AU50. The population reports for both NGC & PCGS also support variance in value associated with the grade rarity of this particular coin.

Certainly, this is not the only denomination/date/mint with similar circumstances. Wouldn't the registry system benefit from an expansion of the circulated grades? After all, the uncirculated "mid-grades" such as MS61 & MS62 are supported in the registry point scale.

Summary: I respectfully suggest the NGC Registry expand to accomodate mid-grade, circulated coins to provide better accuracy in conjunction with the grade and value.

Thanks for your consideration and input.