• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will happen if the TPGs apply a five-year "statute of limitations" to gold?

10 posts in this topic

In other words, the grading guarantee is revoked for gold coins such that their grade is guaranteed for only five years. This would be intended to reflect the problem with puttied coins, many of which do not show problems until many years later.

What are the ramifications if PCGS ;) kind of does what they did with the copper guarantee? In other words, the coins would still be guaranteed genuine, but the grade guarantee expires after five years.

(Note that one implication might be to begin dating the slabs. If you follow the lead of Anheuser-Busch, each slab would have a "born-on date" lol .)

Why would the Services need to do that?

I like playing hypotheticals, but want them based in some sort of reality.

In a word: Money -- which is as real as it gets. My understanding is that TPGs have disbursed significant dollars to cover the grade guarantee for puttied gold.

In other words, the grading guarantee is revoked for gold coins such that their grade is guaranteed for only five years. This would be intended to reflect the problem with puttied coins, many of which do not show problems until many years later.

What are the ramifications if PCGS ;) kind of does what they did with the copper guarantee? In other words, the coins would still be guaranteed genuine, but the grade guarantee expires after five years.

(Note that one implication might be to begin dating the slabs. If you follow the lead of Anheuser-Busch, each slab would have a "born-on date" lol .)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it would be all okie with no change in demand/value for ONLY the coins that had killer eye appeal and WERE TOTALLY ORIGINAL as after 5 years still look exactly the same and in fact might help their overall market demand and value

I think it would further erode the trust in a TPG. Not only for gold or RD/RB but for all submitted coins.

Not to stir the pot, however, it would also solidify the niche CAC is trying to carve out.

It's more likely they will limit their authenticity guarantee as counterfeiters perfect their craft. As far as grade guarantees go, remember the TPG's are the final arbiter when it comes to a grade review.

The implication is that a game of hot potato develops. No one wants to hold the potato. I think it would have a big impact on the market, too. Without guarantees the value of the holder diminishes significantly. Professional opinions and great holders are nice but the real value is in the guarantee.

The implication is that a game of hot potato develops. No one wants to hold the potato. I think it would have a big impact on the market, too. Without guarantees the value of the holder diminishes significantly. Professional opinions and great holders are nice but the real value is in the guarantee.

Professional opinions and great holders are nice, but the real value is in the coin.