• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1835 Bust Half Dime opinions

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I came across this item on Ebay today and couldn't help but bid on the item. Looking at the picture, I am wondering if it has been cleaned or not, the reason being the reverse which seems to look as if some parts are too shiny compared to rest of the coin. Is that cleaning or scratches? Or is it some sort other artifact? I happen to own a 1829 that was harshly clean, so I wouldn't be to suprised if maybe the same situation here?

Looking through the Red Book, I see that there are five listed variants of the 1835, but the book doesn't provide pictures, so I was wondering if anyone can chime in.

These are the photographs - granted not the best photographs, but your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

1201bustd1835b.jpg

The pictures do not show enough detail to tell if the coin has cleaning hairlines or just handling marks. At a glance they can look very similar. There seems to be some patina. The coin has an obvious scratch across the face, and that is the first concern I have with it.