• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legend sells The Sunnywood Morgan Collection

17 posts in this topic

I’m surprised the collection was sold intact.

Some people have a lot of many and for most...the coins in Doug set would be nearly impossible to beat from a grade and color standpoint so I can understand someone wanting the whole sha-bang :cloud9:

I feel like I did when I sold my set....I am such a toned coin wuss :sorry:

Some people have a lot of many and for most...the coins in Doug set would be nearly impossible to beat from a grade and color standpoint so I can understand someone wanting the whole sha-bang :cloud9:

Shane, the set is intact, so why are you bummed? Of course, one would hope that the new buyer appreciates toning.

Shane, the set is intact, so why are you bummed? Of course, one would hope that the new buyer appreciates toning.

Because Doug has been an intrical part of the TCCS for many of us and having such great coins always gave us plenty to talk about. Typically when a set is sold, the seller falls off the map and I believe Doug is planning to take a break. So we don't just potentially lose the set but we lose the man....hence my sadness. I know when I sold my coins off I really didn't participate around here for a while.....

I consider myself fortunate to have had the opportunity to view the entire collection at FUN last January. What a sight for the eyes to behold!

Chris

I'm kind of surprised by this new information.

I thought he really loved this set and wouldn't sell for a long time...

Bummer.... what series is next? hm

I must have stopped ten times to look at the set at the Fun show.

Just could not walk by without taking one more look.

What a really special set.

I'm kind of surprised by this new information.

I thought he really loved this set and wouldn't sell for a long time...

Bummer.... what series is next? hm

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the display at FUN was a prelude to this, and it was intended to raise some interest.

Chris

I've always heard about the Sunnywood collection, and even seen some pictures of some, but who is the owner? Sounds like he's pretty famous in our arena. So, who is this Doug guy?

I've always heard about the Sunnywood collection, and even seen some pictures of some, but who is the owner? Sounds like he's pretty famous in our arena. So, who is this Doug guy?

In the link there is a bit of info about Doug including he is a successful business man and former concert pianist.....I didn't know about the piano playing before the article. I know he has a passion for toned coins, especially Morgans and he has some amazing Barber series coins with fantastic toning as well. All around good guy, Member of the TCCS, and a man that I consider a friend even though we have never met face to face. :headbang:

I don't even know what the "Sunnywood collection" is.... I take it a set of Morgan dollars. Is there something special or famous about it??

I don't even know what the "Sunnywood collection" is.... I take it a set of Morgan dollars. Is there something special or famous about it??

The Sunnywood collection of Morgan Dollars was ranked the #1 set

accross the street and each coin is beautifully toned and very colorful.

I had lunch with Doug last year as he and I knew each other because of

our Barber Quarter collections - [ he had the #1 All Time Finest Set at PCGS ]

which he also sold in its entirety to a collector [ who remains nameless].

I had just picked up a small - but very choice - group of Barbers and was showing

them to Doug for his opinion - and he had a superb gem 1893-S Morgan in his

pocket that he had just picked up. He's an astute collector and buys only the most eye appealing coins he can find in the area of his interests.

Anyone can view his retired set at PCGS - its a real pleasure. Check it out.