• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was that masked medallist?

6 posts in this topic

Many of you already know that I became interested in collecting French medals a few years back. For me, it wasn't enough just to know the designer's name. So, I started looking for reference material to fill in the gaps. At first, I thought it would be an impossible task because everywhere I looked, I found that an all-encompassing reference work would cost in excess of $2K.

Then, during my insatiable quest for medals, I came across the website of Hedley Betts, www.medalsoftheworld.com In addition to selling medals, he also has a fairly extensive library of reference books for sale, and that is where I found the Biographical Dictionary of Medallists by L. Forrer. It's an 8-volume set containing 5,277 pages. I paid $525.00 for it, but Mr. Betts now sells it for $600.00. It covers medallists from 500BC - 1900AD. Of course, there is not a lot of information about ancient and obscure medallists from 2,000 years ago, and in some instances, the only notation is their name and approximate dates of their lives.

The reason I have revisited this subject is to let some of the newer members know that if any of you want background information on a particular medallist, all you have to do is ask, and I will provide whatever information I have at my disposal.

Best wishes for the holidays!

Chris

Thanks for the offer to share your library, Chris. I remember when you bought the wealth of information in regards to Medals. Super addition to anyones library.

Jim

I have this bronze star I got in the Army so if you can provide a little background............. lol

What do you say to me shooting you in your good foot, and then you will be eligible for a Purple Heart.

Chris :insane: