• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to get rid of toning?

11 posts in this topic

I have a nasty toned coin (my own fault for leaving it out to expose in the elements). What is the best way to get rid of color? Yes I want this coin white again. Which dip works best?

Shouldn't have left that coin at the Taco Bell counter! ;)

I think EZ est and then a nice rinse and a bath in acetone is what I've seen recommended. I think that should work just fine. A quick dip though, not more than 2 seconds.

When I dip in EZEST I do it as fast as I can -- less than a second and immediately rinse in distilled water. You can always dip it a 2nd time if necessary, but I suggest you dip it as quickly as you can the first time (and don't drop it in the solution!!!).

A dip in acetone as a final aid is not a bad idea to drive out the water. I like to spot dry by dabbing the coin with a soft cloth at the end of the process.

Thanks,

I think I will just try some ezest first before going that far.

If you do not rinse the coin in a base solution, it will begin to discolor, sometimes within hours. And if not re-dipped at that point, the reaction will etch into the surfaces and create irreversible damage.

yes this is what i get for giving good free advice

never again

Yeah I am going to take it slow with my coin so I do not ruin it. Don't worry your advice will be taken well. :)

i agree!!

and

point taken.................. i guess you could ruin it if you have not done this before as there is always the chance of making the coin worse!