• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879-S Morgan

12 posts in this topic

I know it's tough to put a grade on from a picture, but looking at this coin, what grade would you give this? I sent it to PCGS and was surprises at the grade they geve it. Sorry about the reverse but I ran out of picture space. The reverse is spotless with no hits.IMG_1013.jpg

The fact you're surprised at what PCGS graded it, I'd say you either were awarded the MS66 grade or you were punished with a GENUINE holder.

The neck abrasion and the cheek slide (including the left obv. field at 10:00 gives me pause at anything over MS65.)

Looks like a pretty clean coin, but I could see a number of reasons why you may (or may not) have been "surprised" by PCGS - all of which were pointed out by braddick in the above post.

In my experience, those contact marks at the point of the bust tend to have much less impact on the overall grade than marks on the cheek. Your image appears to portray an immaculate cheek, which almost by itself puts you into MS-65 range, even if the balance of the coin has quite a few abrasions.

a gem+ grade

the morgan looks like it has really good eye appeal to boot

a great coin!

i think you did well with your submission but it was a great coin to start with (thumbs u