• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just got my first counterfeit silver dollar today. can you spot it?

19 posts in this topic

hello all, new to ngc, but been collecting for a year now. got a 1879 CC morgan on ebay which was delivered today. immediately had the feeling something was 'off'. coin was somewhat dirty (maybe to conceal), after cleaning the color seemed wrong and a scale showed that the weight was 3 grams off.

is this a new trend, a rare occurrence, let me know. could you guys tell a fake just be the pictures? is yes, how? is this a good fake (i guess not.. hahha)

thanks

the count

89918.jpg.0cca3ebeffc177002dd7aca4395069da.jpg

89919.jpg.e5b06e7243b9c0a0583eb6e5ce0690b8.jpg

There's something funky about that '7'...

This reminds me of the things going on in the guitar world - making the new look old?

Had I been in the market for such a coin I might have fell for it myself. I can't wait to hear from those experienced as to how to spot this as a fake without being in-hand!

LJ

Too bad.The color is weird.And I'm sure the real Morgan experts can pick out other anomalies.There are diagnostics for this coin that can be hard to fake. To me it looks pretty good for a fake,except the color,that is.

So,who is the seller?I think you should out them so others can know to stay away.

Simplest way to tell is to weigh it and compare to the weigh of a genuine coin.

Also, try the ring test. Balance a genuine coin on the end of your finger, and tap it with a wooden pencil and note the high pitched ring it makes. Do the same with the counterfeit coin, the ring will be distinctly different.

There is nothing with the images that jumps out at you that indicates this is a bogus 1879-CC. I do see right above the L in E Pluribus on the obverse what appears to be a significant rim alteration. This corresponds to the damage seen on the rim under ONE on the reverse.

This would be a major factor as to why this coin is not in a top tier slab, but if your weight is 3 grams shy, well then that’s your answer. If it is a counterfeit Morgan silver dollar, it is a very good reproduction of a rather rare Morgan.

Let us know what you intend to do with this coin?

Welcome.

I agree. The 3 grams lighter would be the true sign. I couldnt be sure about the color from the photographs and would have to have it in hand, Even if it was original the rim damage would get it a "detail" grade .

i think from the photos it is a below average fake

a no brainer from the weight

but cant say as i do not want to help the counterfeiters improve their work

Michael is correct, as usual. This is struck off what is basically a pot-metal "German silver" planchet, and the logotype for the "7" in the date looks wrong.

This is pretty typical of the Chinese fakes that I saw at last year's FUN show. It’s got that “fuzzy” look to it, especially on the reverse.

As some else pointed out, that “7” looks like it belongs on another coins. Only early U.S. coins show variations in size in the numbers in the date, because punches were used for each digit. Some early U.S. coins were also made from dies that had all but the last digit in the date punched. For example this 1797 die was prepared with date left as “179.” Then when the die went into production, the last “7” was added from a large punch, which was probably intended for a dime. You don't see that on later 19th century and all 20th century coins because the dates were dropped in at the time the dies were prepared.

1797HalfDime16O.jpg1797HalfDime16R.jpg

Many features are wrong on this obvious fake.

I can't see any features that are incorrect at first glance...What do you see so i can know what to look out for?

All the major design elements are showing, but the fine details are not there. Look at the tail feathers, for instance. The grainy texture is also a dead giveaway.

I had the same thoughts about this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-Key-Date-1895-O-Morgan-AU-UNC_W0QQitemZ250537942626QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item3a55399e62

Didn't buy, so I don't know for sure - Was a great price if it was...

That coin was circulated and far from a DMPL.

Can not tell for sure from the picture if it was a counterfeit .